This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||25 July 1952|
|Died||20 April 2013 (aged 60)|
|Burial place||Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery|
|Spouse(s)||Teh Kim Hua|
Huang Wenyong (25 July 1952 – 20 April 2013) was a Malaysia-born Singaporean former actor and former teacher of Chinese descent as local media and fellow referred to as "Ah Ge" (senior actor) due to his status. Huang died at the Singapore General Hospital at around 5 p.m. (GMT+8) on 20 April 2013, due to lymphoma at the age of 60.
Early life and career
Huang was a teacher in Kuala Lumpur before leaving for Singapore. Huang moved to Singapore in the 1970s, close to penniless then, with only fifty dollars in hand. He joined the Singapore Broadcasting Corporation in 1977. He is perhaps best known for his appearance in The Awakening in which he played love interest to Xiang Yun's character and The Seletar Robbery during the 1980s. Huang is also known for starring alongside Chew Chor Meng the long-running popular series Don't Worry, Be Happy (1996–2002) and its spin-off Lobang King as the stingy uncle Leon Ong Kim Lye to Chew's character Ah Bee. Huang was nominated for and named one of the Top 10 Most Popular Male Artistes every single year in the annual Star Awards since its introduction in 1994, until his death in 2013. In total, Huang starred in more than a hundred Chinese-language television programmes. In addition to acting, Huang sang pieces for a few television sitcoms and also released two albums. He was an ambassador for anti-ageing product company Zell-V. He was an actor for MediaCorp from the late 1970s until his death. Appearing in more than 100 television programmes, he was among the first few batches of locally trained actors to enter the local entertainment industry and considered to be one of the "pioneers in local Chinese drama".
Huang gained Singaporean citizenship in October 2008 after residing in the country for 27 years. Huang was married with two children: a son and a daughter. He was a "lifelong devotee" of Buddhism.
There was public concern after Huang appeared visibly haggard during MediaCorp Channel 8's 30th Drama Anniversary Show. He clarified that he had been suffering from stomach flu, said to have been contracted in September 2012. During which, he was estimated to have lost 6–7 kilograms in weight. Huang would also experience intervals of severe fever. In November 2012, Huang was diagnosed with lymphoma and had to go for chemotherapy. His condition was not disclosed to the general public until his death, because Huang "wanted to go through this by himself".
Huang died at the Singapore General Hospital at around 5 p.m. (GMT+8) on 20 April 2013, aged 60. The cause of his death was lymphoma. Huang was previously subject to a death hoax earlier in the month, which claimed that he had been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Huang is survived by his wife and two children. His medical condition had been kept under the wraps; only very few knew what actually ailed him. Huang's death sparked an "outpouring of grief" from both colleagues and fans alike. Thirty seconds of silence were observed and a special tribute segment aired before the start of the Star Awards ceremony held the evening after his death.
His funeral wake was held a day after his death on 21 April 2013 at the Teochew Funeral Parlour, lasting for five days. Xiang Yun and Chen Shucheng delivered eulogies, as did a few others. Funeral attendees were measured by the hundreds.[a] To allow their staff to attend the procession, Channel 8 temporarily postponed or rescheduled their production activities. He was cremated at the Bright Hill Crematorium and Columbarium in Sin Ming.
In recognition of his contributions to the television industry in Singapore, Huang was posthumously awarded the "Honorary TV Award" on 28 April 2013, at the Star Awards 2013. To commemorate his death, a television special titled Remembering Huang Wenyong was aired on 29 April 2013, as well as reruns of his television appearances being played on television and online platforms.
|When Will I See You Again 又见黄花||N/A|
|Spring Is Always Green 悲欢年华||Gu Zhong Han 谷中寒|
|1982||Seletar Robbery 实里达大劫案||Xiao Chen 小陈|
|The Diamond Chase 圣淘沙之旅||Tang Yong Da 汤永达|
|1983||Army Series 新兵小传||Guo Zheng Hao 郭正豪|
|All That Glitters is Not Gold 捷径||N/A|
|CID '83 狮城勇探||Wu Zhi Hui 吴稚辉 (ASP)|
|1984||Ah Tu 阿突||N/A|
|The Awakening 雾锁南洋I – 天长地久/狮城拂晓||He Ah Shui 何阿水|
|In the Wilderness 荒原||Fang Xiang 方翔|
|The Awakening II 雾锁南洋II – 风雨同舟/赤道朝阳||Yang Bing Wen 杨炳文|
|Pursuit 怒海萍踪||Guang Xu 光绪|
|1985||Son of Pulau Tekong 亚答籽||Wen Chao Qiang 温朝强|
|Home is Where Love is 吾爱吾家||Luo Wen Hao 罗文浩|
|1986||The Happy Trio 青春123||Huang Shao Wei 黄少威|
|Samsui Women 红头巾||Su Ah Zhi 苏阿治|
|Under One Roof 家和万事兴||Guo Yi Ji 郭一基|
|The Bond 天涯同命鸟||Zhou Gui Chu 周桂初|
|1987||Five Foot Way 五脚基||Liu Qi Hua 刘启华|
|Moving On 变迁||Zhuang Rong Fa 庄荣发|
|Strange Encounters 奇缘 之《钟馗捉鬼》||Zhong Kui 钟馗|
|1988||Heiress 世纪情||Zhou Yu Shu 周玉树|
|Airforce 空军||Kuang Guo Zhong 邝国忠|
|The Last Applause 舞榭歌台||Jiang Tian Ran 姜天然|
|Mystery 迷离夜之"戒"||Ding Min Chang 丁民昌|
|My Fair Ladies 窈窕淑女||Zhao Yong Sheng 赵永生|
|Strange Encounters II 奇缘II 之《钟馗再捉鬼》||Zhong Kui 钟馗|
|1989||Magic of Dance 鼓舞青春||N/A|
|Return of the Prince 丝路迷城||Hua Shi Jin 花似锦|
|1990||Friends Next Door 我爱芳邻||Tang Da Wen 唐大文|
|Marry Me 最佳配偶||Liu Ri Xin 刘日新|
|1991||The Working Class 上班一族||N/A|
|Guardian Angel 爸爸怕怕||Tao Zui Mu 陶醉木|
|1992||Women of Substance 悲欢岁月||N/A|
|Memories of June 六月的童话||Zhang Zhong Hua 张中华|
|Crazy Chase 富贵也疯狂||Zhao Yi Ben 赵义本|
|Love is in the Air 爱在女儿乡||Mai Da Cheng 麦达成|
|1993||Heavenly Beings 再战封神榜||Lü Dong Bin 吕洞宾|
|Angel of Vengeance 暴雨狂花||Zhang Da Fu 张大富|
|Happy Foes 欢喜冤家||Zhang Tian Shi 张天狮|
|Ninjas in Town 伏魔奇兵||Xiao Peng 小鹏（鹏叔）|
|Happy Reunion 年年有鱼||Zhu Ruo Guang 朱若光|
|1994||Thunder Plot 惊天大阴谋||Sir Ou 区Sir|
|The Challenger 勇者无惧||Dong Qi Long 董奇隆|
|Fiery Lover 烈火情人||Shi Zhong Ping 石中平|
|Silk of Love 情丝万缕||Fan Li Ren 范立仁|
|1995||The Ranger 铁血雄心||Army Officer 军官|
|Home at 168 大牌168||Zhuo Tie Shu 卓铁树|
|Strange Encounters III 奇缘III 之《灶神》||Emperor 黄帝|
|Strange Encounters III 奇缘III 之《门神》||Tang Tai Zong 唐太宗|
|The Last Rhythm 曲终魂断||Chen Zhi Yuan 陈志源|
|The Golden Pillow 金枕头||Chen Hao Wen 陈浩文|
|1996||Ah Xue 阿雪||Lin Shu Gen 林树根|
|Triumph Over The Green 爱拼球会赢||Himself 黄文永|
|Diary of a Teacher 老师日记||Wu Chuang Xin 吴创新|
|3-in-1 Love 爱情三合一||Wang Yong 王永|
|1996-2002||Don't Worry, Be Happy 敢敢做个开心人||Ong Kim Lye 黄金来|
|1997||My Family, My Love 高家万岁||Gao Zhi An 高志安|
|Hope 人间有梦||A-Qin 阿勤|
|A Place to Call Home 薯条汉堡青春豆||Liu Wei Zhong 刘伟忠|
|From the Medical Files 医生档案||Chen Jun Lin 陈俊麟|
|1998||Men on Crossroads 四个好涩的男人||Wang Zhi Wei 王志伟|
|Dreams - Little Santa 七个梦 之《圣诞小人》||Wang De 王德|
|Around People's Park 珍珠街坊||Wang Xi 王喜|
|1999||God of Fortune 财神爷||Zhao Gong Ming 赵公明 (中路元帅)|
|My Grandpa 公公,你的名字好难叫||Fang Da Peng 方大鹏|
|2000||The Tax Files 流金税月||Lin Zhi Lun 林志伦|
|The Legendary Swordsman 笑傲江湖||Lin Zhen Nan 林镇南|
|2001||Three Women and A Half 三个半女人||Zhang Yong Xing 张永兴|
|The Hotel 大酒店|
|The Reunion 顶天立地||Steven Choo|
|2002||Health Matters 一切由慎开始 之《孕妇杀手》||N/A|
|Fantasy 星梦情真||Yang Xiong 杨雄|
|Springs of Life 春到人间||Su Hua 苏华|
|2003||Lobang King 我是Lobang King||Ong Kim Lye 黄金来|
|True Heroes 真心英雄||Wang Jiancheng 王建成|
|Holland V 荷兰村||Lin Jingcai 林精采|
|Always On My Mind 无炎的爱||N/A|
|2004||I Love My Home 我爱我家||Xu Chuanjia 许传家|
|These Ties That Bind 家财万贯||N/A|
|My Mighty-in-Laws 野蛮亲家||Fang Chunqiu 方春秋|
|2005||Destiny 梦在手里||Shen Congye 沈从业|
|A Promise for Tomorrow 拥抱明天||Fang Zhen 方震|
|2006||Women of Times 至尊红颜||Andrew Jia Zengmu 贾增木|
|Measure of Man 大男人。小男人||Cai Lianwei 蔡连伟|
|2007||The Peak 最高点||Tie Tou 铁头|
|Happily Ever After 凡间新仙人||Yu Di 玉帝|
|Honour and Passion 宝家为国||Bao Pengju 宝鹏举|
|The Golden Path 黄金路||Lin Desheng 林德生|
|2008||Love Blossoms I 心花朵朵开||Yu Dong Cheng 于东成|
|Just in Singapore 一房，半厅，一水缸||Lin Bang (Francis) 林邦|
|Crime Busters x 2 叮当神探||Xia Mingda 夏明达|
|2009||My A-Go-Go Princess 穿越阿哥哥||Landlord 包租公||N/A|
|Your Hand in Mine
|2011||A Tale of 2 Cities
|Love Thy Neighbour
|Sim Beng Huat
|Joys of Life
|2013||It's a Wonderful Life
|2000||2000 AD 公元2000||Guest Appearance|
|2001||My Valentine 二月十四||Taiwan production|
|2003||Homerun 跑吧！孩子||Kun's father|
|2011||It's a Great, Great World 大世界||Peter|
|1995||Those Were The Days 旧情绵绵||Host with Zeng Xiao Ying (曾晓英) first, then with Huang Yu Ling (黄毓玲)|
|1998||Bon Appetite 食指大动|
|2003||Be My Guest 客人来|
|2004||Durian Delights 你吃我吃它刺刺刺|
|Star of All Trades 行行出艺人|
|2006-2009||Living Golden Age 黄金年华|
|2010||Shop & Save|
|2012||30 Years of Drama - Theme Song Concert 《戏剧情牵30 - 我们的主题曲》演唱会||Huang Wenyong, Chen Shucheng and Xiang Yun were presented the night's prestigious "Television Guru" award.|
|2012||Silver Carnival Series 1 银色嘉年华|
- Lim, Karen (22 April 2013). "Farewell, Ah Shui". AsiaOne.
- "Huang Wenyong: The Man behind the Star". Channel NewsAsia. 21 April 2013. Archived from the original on 24 April 2013.
- DeHart, Jonathan (22 April 2013). "Huang Wenyong: Singapore Mourns Death of Veteran Actor". The Diplomat.
- "Xiang Yun: "He has given me only happy memories"". Channel NewsAsia. 21 April 2013. Archived from the original on 26 April 2013.
- Lee, Jan (28 April 2013). "Star Awards pays tribute to Huang Wenyong". The Straits Times.
- "黄文永淋巴癌逝 终年60岁 向云悲慟". Oriental Daily News. 21 April 2013.
- Huang Wen Yong Celeb Bios
- "Veteran actor Huang Wenyong has died". AsiaOne. 20 April 2013.
- "Zell-V Ambassador - Huang Wen Yong". Zell-V. 1 June 2011.
- 新加坡资深艺人黄文永21日于医院病逝 享年60岁 (in Chinese). 22 April 2013.
- Chua, Charlene (1 April 2013). "Huang Wenyong fans furious about rumours of his death". AsiaOne.
- Huang Wenyong clarifies on sudden weight loss
- 黄文永病两个月-爆瘦7公斤. xin msn (in Chinese). 19 November 2012.
- "Chen Guohua reveals why Huang Wenyong kept his cancer a secret". AsiaOne. 24 April 2013.
- Huang Wenyong dies of cancer at age 60
- "ST: Fans of actor Huang Wenyong furious about rumours of his death". Archived from the original on 23 April 2013. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- Han, Wei Chou; Lam, Evelyn; Leong, Wai Kit (21 April 2013). "Star Awards pays tribute to Huang Wenyong amid outpouring of grief". Channel News Asia. Archived from the original on 23 April 2013.
- "Huang Wenyong's death casts pall over Star Awards show". The Straits Times. 22 April 2013.
- Han, Wei Chou (24 April 2013). "Star-studded send-off for Huang Wenyong". Channel News Asia. Archived from the original on 26 April 2013.
- Shah, Salimat (24 April 2013). "Fans, celebs bid farewell to Huang Wenyong". Yahoo!.
- "Huang Wenyong's wish for drama re-run to be fulfilled". AsiaOne. 25 April 2013.
- "Huang Wenyong's daughter tweets about his passing". AsiaOne. 25 April 2013.
- "Actors are among hundreds at Huang Wenyong's funeral". AsiaOne. 24 April 2013.
- "Production work makes way for Huang Wenyong's funeral". Channel News Asia. 23 April 2013. Archived from the original on 26 April 2013.
- Ng, Gena; Ferroa, Susan (24 April 2013). "Last applause for Huang Wenyong". Channel News Asia. Archived from the original on 26 April 2013.
- "Huang Wenyong to be honoured with special award at "Star Awards 2013 Show 2"". TODAY. 22 April 2013.
- "Tv - Actor Huang Wenyong Loses Cancer Battle". Contact Music. 22 April 2013.
- "Late Huang Wenyong gets wax tribute at Madame Tussauds, but daughter is upset". Coconuts Media. Coconuts Singapore. 24 October 2014. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "Huang Wenyong's daughter blasts netizen for questioning late actor's place in wax museum". The New Paper. 29 October 2014. Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- 《大牌88》 节目介绍