China plans to launch eleven Huanjing (Chinese: 环境) satellites for disaster and environmental monitoring ("huanjing" is Chinese for "environment"). The satellites will be capable of visible, infrared, multi-spectral and synthetic-aperture radar imaging.
The first two satellites, Huanjing-1A and Huanjing-1B, were launched on 6 September 2008 on a Long March 2C rocket from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center. In a report dated 3 September 2008, the Associated Press of Pakistan indicated the launch would be conducted 5 September 2008 using a Long March 2C launch vehicle. On 5 September 2008, Aviation Week reported the first launch would be of optical imaging satellites.
Huanjing-1C was launched on 16 November 2012 on a Long March 2C rocket from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center. It is the first civilian Chinese remote sensing satellite to use a synthetic-aperture radar as imaging instrument. This S-band synthetic-aperture radar (SAR) was manufactured in Russia by NPO Mashinostroyeniya.
The two satellites, Huanjing-2A and Huanjing-2B, were launched on 27 September 2020 at 03:23 UTC on a Long March 4B launch vehicle from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center. The satellites "provide services concerning environmental protection, natural resources, water conservancy, agriculture and forestry", Xinhua said.
|6 September 2008||Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center||Huanjing 1A and 1B||Success|
|19 November 2012||Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center||Huanjing 1C||Success|
|27 September 2020, 03:23 UTC||Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center||Huanjing 2A and 2B||Success|
- "Military Power of the People's Republic of China" (PDF). U.S. Department of Defense. 2000. p. 37. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 October 2008. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- "First natural disaster monitoring satellites launched by China". NASASpaceFlight.com.
- "China to launch natural disaster monitoring satellites". 3 September 2008. Archived from the original on 28 September 2011.
- Covault, Craig (5 September 2008). "U.S. and China Resume Space Cooperation Talks". Aviation Week.
- Marín, Daniel (20 November 2012). "Lanzamiento Larga Marcha CZ-2C (Huanjing-1C)" (in Spanish). Eureka Blog.
- "China launches environmental monitoring satellites". Spaceflight Now. 28 September 2020. Retrieved 29 September 2020.
- "China launches two natural disaster monitoring satellites". Xinhua. 6 September 2008.
- "中国19日成功发射"环境一号"C卫星". 凤凰网. 19 November 2012.
- "HJ 2A, 2B". Gunter's Space Page.