|Codename||Elle (P30) |
Vogue (P30 Pro)
|Slogan||"Rewrite the Rules of Photography"|
|Series||Huawei P series|
|First released||March 26, 2019|
|Related||Huawei Mate 30|
149.1 mm × 71.4 mm × 7.6 mm (5.87 in × 2.81 in × 0.30 in)
158 mm × 73.4 mm × 8.4 mm (6.22 in × 2.89 in × 0.33 in)
|Operating system||Original: Android 9.0 "Pie" Current: Android 10|
|System on chip||Kirin 980|
|CPU||Octa-core (2x 2.6 GHz Cortex A76, 2x 1.92 GHz Cortex A76, 4x 1.8 GHz Cortex A55)|
|Memory||6 or 8 GB LPDDR4X RAM|
P30: 64, 128, or 256 GB
P30 Pro: 128, 256, or 512 GB
|Removable storage||Huawei Nano Memory up to 256 GB|
|Data inputs||GPS/Glonass/BDS/Galileo/QZSS, accelerometer, gyroscope, compass, proximity sensor|
|Rear camera||P30: Triple: 40 MP IMX650 Wide (f/1.8, 27mm, 1/1.7") + 16 MP Ultrawide (f/2.2, 17mm) + 8 MP Telephoto (f/2.4, 80mm, 1/4", OIS), Leica optics, 3x optical zoom, phase detection and laser AF, dual-LED dual-tone flash |
P30 Pro: 40 MP IMX650 Wide (f/1.6, 1/1.7", 27mm, OIS) + 20 MP Ultrawide (f/2.2, 1/2.7", 16mm) + 8 MP Telephoto (f/3.4, 1/4", 125mm, OIS) + time-of-flight sensor, Leica optics, 5x optical zoom, phase detection and laser AF, dual-LED dual-tone flash
|Front camera||32 MP, autofocus, f/2.0, 1080p video|
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac with Wi-Fi Direct support, BT5.0, BLE, aptX/aptX HD, USB Type C 3.1|
Huawei P30 Pro
Huawei P30 lite
Their designs are similar to those of the P20. The P30 Pro has a curved screen, and replaces the traditional earpiece speaker with an "electromagnetic levitation" speaker that vibrates the top of the phone's screen, enabling a narrower bezel. The P30 has IP53 water and dustproofing, while the P30 Pro has IP68, but does not include a headphone jack. Both models utilise the Kirin 980 system-on-chip. The devices feature an in-screen optical fingerprint reader, stated to have improved performance over that of the Mate 20 Pro.
In September 2019, Huawei unveiled new "Mystic Blue" and "Misty Lavender" color finishes for the P30 Pro, which carry a two-tone appearance using matte and glossy finishes. In May 2020, Huawei announced new 256 GB "New Edition" P30 Pro models for Germany, including a new silver color scheme.
The P30 Pro features three rear-facing camera lenses with Leica optics, including a 40-megapixel lens, 20-megapixel ultra-wide angle lens, an 8-megapixel "periscope" lens with 5x optical zoom. The optical zoom can be combined with software-assisted digital zoom of up to 50x. The P30 Pro also includes a time-of-flight sensor. The base P30 model excludes the periscope lens (reducing it to 3x optical zoom), reduces the ultra-wide angle lens to 16-megapixels, and does not include optical image stabilization (software-based AI stabilization is still used).The 40-megapixel lens on both models use a new "SuperSpectrum" image sensor, whose color filter array uses yellow sub-pixels instead of green. Huawei stated that this would allow more light to be captured, and enhanced absorption of red and green colors. This sensor is leveraged by improvements to the camera software's night mode, as well as new "Super HDR" and "Super Low Light" capture modes.
The P30 line ships with Android 9.0 "Pie", with Huawei's EMUI 9.1 software suite. Huawei unveiled an Android 10-based EMUI 10 in August 2019, with the P30 among the first to receive it in a beta program. The Mystic Blue and Misty Lavender P30 models come pre-loaded with Android 10. Although released after trade sanctions were introduced against Huawei by the United States, these "new" models continue to still include Google-licensed Android.
For each model, there are different variants available:
- P30: ELE-L09 (single SIM: SIM + NM card), ELE-L29 (dual SIM: either 2x SIM or SIM + NM card)
- P30 Pro: VOG-L09 (single SIM: SIM + NM card), VOG-L29 (dual SIM: either 2x SIM or SIM + NM card)
Vlad Savov of The Verge felt that the P30 Pro was comparable to the Samsung Galaxy S10 in terms of hardware specifications, but that Huawei was an "unrivaled champ" in camera quality. Its cameras were shown to have better low-light performance at its default settings than the Pixel 3's "Night Sight" mode (which requires a long exposure), and that even with a slight reduction in sharpness past 10x, there was very little degradation in the quality of zoomed images with its periscope lens, producing a usable image even at 32x zoom. However, although not as aggressive as the P20 Pro, he still felt that Huawei's automatic processing was "too aggressive with its mix of grain-suppressing blur and additive sharpening", and that the Pixel 3 had more accurate white balance. Savov felt that the P30 Pro had good Bluetooth and Wi-Fi performance, "heroically long" battery life, and that the "magnetic levitation" earpiece worked "shockingly well". However, its display was considered to be inferior in quality to the S10 (due to its comparatively lower resolution, and a discoloration of the curved edges at certain viewing angles), the in-display fingerprint reader was not as fast as the P20, and that Huawei's default user interface was "more frustrating and nagging than helpful".
In a review of the standard P30, Pocket-lint noted that its overall size was more in line with the previous year's P20 Pro (if not slightly more compact due to the replacement of the physical fingerprint reader), and that it still included a headphone jack and most of the P30 Pro's new hardware. However, the camera was considered to have downgraded quality over the P30 Pro, and its battery life was not as good due to its smaller capacity.
- Savov, Vlad (2019-03-26). "Huawei's P30 Pro is a photographic powerhouse with a tiny notch". The Verge. Retrieved 2019-03-26.
- Cutress, Ian. "Huawei Launches the P30 and P30 Pro: P is for Photography". Anandtech. Retrieved 2019-03-26.
- "Huawei P30 Pro arrives in two new colors, here's our hands-on experience". GSMArena.com. Retrieved 2019-09-06.
- Porter, Jon (2020-05-12). "Huawei's P30 Pro gets another rerelease to keep the Google dream alive". The Verge. Retrieved 2020-05-12.
- "Huawei P30 Pro: The new benchmark for smartphone zoom". DPReview. Retrieved 2019-04-10.
- Hoyle, Andrew. "Huawei P30 Pro is a four-camera beast gunning for the Galaxy S10 Plus". CNET. Retrieved 2019-03-26.
- "Huawei's EMUI 10 software update announced: When will it come to your phone?date=2019-08-13". Pocket-lint. Retrieved 2019-08-15.
- Savov, Vlad (2019-04-10). "Huawei P30 Pro review: zooming into the future". The Verge. Retrieved 2019-04-10.
- "Huawei P30 review". Pocket-lint. 2019-03-26. Retrieved 2019-04-26.
- Friedman, Alan. "Researcher finds Huawei P30 Pro's Moon Mode is not what it seems". Phone Arena. Retrieved 2019-05-20.
- Jhaveri, Aakash (2019-04-25). "Are The Moon Shots From The Huawei P30 Pro Fake?". Mashable India. Retrieved 2019-05-20.