Hubbard High School (Chicago)
|Hubbard High School|
|6200 S. Hamlin Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60629
|School type||Public secondary|
|School district||Chicago Public Schools|
|Principal||Nancy Marie Wiley|
|Athletics conference||Chicago Public League|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
Hubbard High School is a public four-year high school located in the West Lawn neighborhood on the southwest side of Chicago, Illinois, United States. Hubbard is part of the Chicago Public Schools district. The school is named for American fur trader and insurance underwriter Gurdon Saltonstall Hubbard. As of 2012, Hubbard had a 62.8% five–year graduation rate.
Hubbard was one of 16 schools nationwide selected by the College Board for inclusion in the EXCELerator School Improvement Model program beginning in the 2007–08 school year. The project was funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
IB Diploma Programme
Hubbard is an IB Diploma Programme high school. This comprehensive and challenging pre-university program for academically advanced and highly motivated students in grades 11 and 12 was implemented at Hubbard in 1998. Students at this school usually take IB exams in May. In the last examination session, students completed the following exams: Biology SL, English A1 HL, History HL, Math.Studies SL, Spanish A HL, Theory Knowl. TK and Visual Arts SL.
Advanced Placement and JROTC
Advanced Placement classes are available in six subjects: Biology, Calculus, English Language and Composition, Psychology, Spanish Language, and United States History. Students may substitute physical education classes with JROTC classes.
Hubbard competes in the Chicago Public League (CPL) and is a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA). The school is also known for their successful football team. Other sports programs offered by the school include: baseball, bowling, cheerleading, chess, cross country, golf, pom-pom, soccer, softball, swimming, track, volleyball, and wrestling.
Students must wear white or grey shirts and black bottoms. They may also wear their class shirts or any shirt produced by a Hubbard club/organization.
Hubbard High School originally opened for the 1928/29 school year. In the late 1990s, Hubbard faced substantial overcrowding, but recent work has lowered its enrollment.
- Sean Cattouse – former NFL player
- Ethan Farmer - musician, songwriter, record producer
- Kelvin Hayden – former NFL player
- Othyus Jeffers – professional basketball player
- Aaron Johnson – professional basketball player.
- Nate Lyles – former NFL player
- Frank Olivo – alderman of the 13th ward (City of Chicago)
- Michael Peña – actor
- Carina E. Sánchez – Public Building Commission Executive Director (City of Chicago)
- Institution Summary, AdvancED, Retrieved 2012-07-11
- "Hubbard". http://www.hubbardhighschool.org/. Retrieved 2013-04-14. External link in
- "Hubbard High School". CPS. Retrieved 2013-04-15.
- "OAE". cpsoae.org. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- "CPSHubbardOverview". cps.edu. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- "APCourseLedger". apcourseaudit.epiconline.org. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- "DeptJROTC". chicagojrotc.com. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- IHSA Chicago (Hubbard)
- "MaxPreps". maxpreps.com. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- The Historymakers: Lena McLin