Hubbard Lake, Alcona County, Michigan
|Hubbard Lake, Michigan|
|Census-designated place & Unincorporated community|
Location of Hubbard Lake, Michigan
|• Total||22.5 sq mi (58.4 km2)|
|• Land||8.7 sq mi (22.6 km2)|
|• Water||13.8 sq mi (35.8 km2)|
|Elevation||748 ft (228 m)|
|• Density||115/sq mi (44.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1852243|
Hubbard Lake is a census-designated place (CDP) corresponding to the populated area surrounding the Hubbard Lake body of water in Alcona County in the U.S. state of Michigan. This CDP is defined for statistical purposes and does not have legal status as a municipality. The population of the CDP was 1,002 at the 2010 census.
The CDP includes a couple of named unincorporated communities along the lake:
- Backus Beach is in Hawes Township at the southeast end of the lake at  The settlement is named for settler Austin Backus, who built a hotel on the south side of the lake and helped make the area a popular resort. with an elevation of 728 feet (222 m).
- Larson Beach is in Alcona Township on eastern shore of Hubbard Lake at elevation of 720 feet (220 m) above sea level. and an
- According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 22.5 square miles (58.4 km2), of which 8.7 square miles (22.6 km2) is land and 13.8 square miles (35.8 km2), or 61.27%, is water. It is considered to be part of Northern Michigan.
It is located just east of the famous Pine Hill Hunting Club.
As of the census of 2000, there were 993 people, 491 households, and 341 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 112.1 per square mile (43.3/km²). There were 1,409 housing units at an average density of 159.1/sq mi (61.4/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 98.89% White, 0.20% Asian, and 0.91% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.30% of the population.
There were 491 households out of which 11.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.4% were married couples living together, 3.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.5% were non-families. 27.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.01 and the average family size was 2.38.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 9.9% under the age of 18, 3.3% from 18 to 24, 14.2% from 25 to 44, 38.0% from 45 to 64, and 34.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 60 years. For every 100 females there were 101.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 102.0 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $38,611, and the median income for a family was $41,827. Males had a median income of $32,250 versus $27,500 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $24,550. About 4.7% of families and 7.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.8% of those under age 18 and 5.8% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Hubbard Lake, Alcona County, Michigan
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Hubbard Lake CDP, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 3, 2013.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Backus Beach
- Hubbard Lake, InfoMI
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Larson Beach