Burge was born on in 1862 and educated at Bedford School, Marlborough and University College, Oxford. His first post after graduation was as a Schoolmaster at Wellington College after which he was Fellow and Dean of his old college. He received a Bachelor of Divinity (BD) in March 1902, and at the same time received a Doctorate of Divinity (DD).
He was Headmaster of Repton from 1900 to 1901 and then of Winchester from 1901 to 1911, before his elevation to the Episcopate as Bishop of Southwark in 1911. Translated to Oxford in 1919,ex officio Chancellor of the Order of the Garter and appointed Clerk of the Closet, he was later also a Sub-Prelate of the Order of St John of Jerusalem and Chancellor of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.
He was a keen cricketer.
- Bishops of Oxford
- "Reverend Hubert Murray Burge", The Peerage, 4 September 2011
- "Who was Who" 1897-1990 London, A & C Black, 1991 ISBN 0-7136-3457-X
- University Intelligence. Oxford The Times Friday, Oct 22, 1886; pg. 5; Issue 31897; col C
- "University intelligence". The Times (36723). London. 24 March 1902. p. 7.
- List of Headmasters
- National Archives
- The Times, Saturday, Jul 19, 1919; pg. 12; Issue 42156; col C The Times, Saturday, Jul 19, 1919; pg. 12; Issue 42156; col CEcclesiastical intelligence
- "The Wisden Book of Cricketers’ Lives" Green,B: London Queen Anne’s Press ISBN 0-356-10640-3
- The Times, Thursday, Jun 11, 1925; pg. 16; Issue 43985; col B The Bishop Of Oxford. Wisdom And Sympathy
|Church of England titles|
| Bishop of Southwark
| Bishop of Oxford
William Boyd Carpenter
| Clerk of the Closet|
| Headmaster of Repton School
| Headmaster of Winchester College