||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Hubert Rees (27 April 1928 – 20 October 2009) was a Welsh character actor who had supporting roles in British television shows throughout the 1970s and 1980s.
Rees' early career in television series and shows in character and bit parts, often playing a police officer. In 1968 Rees made his first appearance in the popular long-running British television series Doctor Who. He played the part of Chief Engineer in all six parts of "Fury from the Deep". The next year he appeared in another episode of Doctor Who, playing the role of Captain Ransom in "The War Games". In 1971 he appeared in the film thriller Unman, Wittering and Zigo. This was followed in 1972 when he was part of the Welsh ensemble cast in the adaptation of Dylan Thomas' Under Milk Wood; he played the part of Butcher Beynon.
Rees continued his career throughout the 1970s appearing in popular television shows, including Softly, Softly: Taskforce, The Sweeney, The Sandbaggers and Van der Valk. He also made his final appearance for Doctor Who when he appeared in "The Seeds of Doom" alongside Tom Baker. He was to appear with Baker again in 1982 when he took the part of Inspector Lestrade in the television mini-series of Sherlock Holmes classic "The Hound of the Baskervilles". In 1983 Rees was back in another Sherlock Holmes series, this time as Doctor Watson in The Baker Street Boys. The 1980s saw Rees taking character roles in more popular television shows including Bergerac, Howards' Way and Auf Wiedersehen, Pet. Rees also appeared in Welsh films The Angry Earth (1989) and Darklands (1996).
- Unman, Wittering and Zigo (1971) - Blisterine
- Under Milk Wood (1972) - Butcher Beynon
- Blue Blood (1973) - Dr. Barratt
- Sweeney 2 (1978) - Bank Manager
- The First Great Train Robbery (1979) - Lewis
- Agatha (1979) - Official at Literary Luncheon
- Champions (1984) - Bill (Hiawatha)
- Defence of the Realm (1986) - Club Waiter
- The Angry Earth (1989) - Mayor
- Darklands (1996) - Bill Sawyer
- Food of Love (1997) - Red faced man
- Undertaker's Paradise (2000)