|Member of the Texas House of Representatives|
from the 149th district
|Assumed office |
January 11, 2005
|Preceded by||Talmadge L. Heflin|
|Born||30 May 1956|
|Alma mater||University of Houston (B.S.)|
Hubert Vo (Vietnamese: Hubert Võ, born 30 May 1956) is a Democratic member of the Texas House of Representatives for House District 149. He is the first and only Vietnamese American to be elected to the Texas legislature.
Vo currently serves as a Democratic member of the Texas House of Representatives, representing the 149th District which contains part of Harris County including part of west Houston and the suburbs of Alief and Katy. Vo was elected in 2004, defeating the incumbent Republican, Talmadge Heflin by the razor-thin margin of 20,695 to 20,662.
Talmadge Heflin was the Republican nominee again in 2006, seeking a rematch with Hubert Vo in the election of Tuesday, November 7, 2006. Vo won re-election with 54% of the vote.
The Houston Chronicle has reported numerous stories about apartment complexes owned by Vo. The complexes have been cited by the City of Houston for various building code violations.
He won re-election in the 2010 election.
In 2014, Hubert Vo endorsed a program that would allow food stamps to be used at restaurants such as Taste of Texas and Luby's.
In 2016, Vo won re-nomination in the Democratic primary against challenger Demetria Smith, 4,442 votes (64.9%) to 2,406 (35.1%).
Current legislative committees
Hubert Vo has been a member of the following committees:
- Economic and Small Business Development, Vice Chair
- House Administration, Member
- Insurance, Member
- Public Safety, Member
- "1992 - Current Election History". Office of the [Texas] Secretary of State. Archived from the original on 9 January 2014. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- "Lawmaker Vo used state letterhead in complaint to HPD". Houston Chronicle. 12 April 2008. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- Leibowitz, Vince (5 February 2008). "Texas Presidential Primary Endorsements: Who Has Endorsed & Who Is Up For Grabs". Capitol Annex. Archived from the original on 19 September 2008. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- "Asian Americans for Obama - Seattle". Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- Grissom, Brandi; Hamilton, Reeve; Hu, Elise; Ramsey, Ross; Ramshaw, Emily; Smith, Morgan; Stiles, Matt; Aguilar, Julián; Muto, David; Galbraith, Kate; Aaronson, Becca; Chang, Julie; Hallman, Tristan; Brown, Emily (2 November 2010). "Yes, the GOP Wave Turned Out to Be a Tsunami". The Texas Tribune. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- "Representative Hubert Vo's Biography". Project Vote Smart. Retrieved 16 December 2012.
|Texas House of Representatives|
Talmadge L. Heflin
| Member of the Texas House of Representatives
from District 149 (Houston)
2005 – present