This article has an unclear citation style.February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)(
|Categories||DIY Culture, Art magazine, Lifestyle|
Huck is a bi-monthly magazine, website and video platform. It has been recognized for its style of exploring subcultures as "entry points for articles about music, politics and places all over the world." It is published by London-based media company TCOLondon, which also publishes Little White Lies magazine.
History and rationale
Huck launched in 2006 and was initially inspired by the rebellious heritage of surf and skate. The magazine's coverage has since broadened to cover the wider world of culture. In 2006, founding editor and TCOLondon Publisher Vince Medeiros initially said of Huck's intended readership: "Our readers will be part of the tribe of surf, skate and snowboard culture, but they will be people who appreciate that there are other things in life." Editor-in-chief Andrea Kurland explained the magazine's ethos in 2014 as "punk, skateboarding, surfing, activism, hip-hop, outsider art, indie publishing".
The first issue, which featured snowboarder Shaun White on the cover, was delayed by two months after burglars cleared out the magazine’s Shoreditch office, two weeks before the original release date in May 2006.
Huck cover stars have occasionally co-curated the issue in which they appear, suggesting stories on people, places and moments that inspired them. Dave Eggers, Miranda July, Mark Gonzales, Kim Gordon, and Cat Power are among those who have guest-edited. In 2015 the print magazine shifted from using cover stars to themed issues.
Huck is available in the UK, France, Belgium, Germany, Poland, Croatia, Malta, Norway, Sweden, Austria, Switzerland, Ireland, USA, Canada, Australia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, New Zealand, and Brazil.
San Francisco–based Chronicle Books published the first Huck book, Paddle Against the Flow: Lessons on Life from Doers, Creators, and Culture-Shakers in 2015. The book collects insights from more than 60 people Huck has published interviews with, as well as photography and art.
Huck was included in Graphic Design – Now In Production, an exhibition co-organized by the Smithsonian Institution’s Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum, New York, and the Walker Art Center, Minneapolis that toured the United States from 2011–2014.
- Society of Publication Designers (2014) Merit winner in editorial design
- Art Directors Club (2013) Merit winner in illustration
- Amnesty International Media Awards (2012) Special Commendation
- D&AD Awards (2010) Yellow Pencil nomination Illustration/Magazine & Newspaper design
- The Maggies (2009) Best cover award, Sports and Men’s category
- Magazine Design and Journalism Awards (2008) Nominated Best Designed Magazine
|Issue||Date||Cover Star / Theme|
|1||June/July 2006||Shaun White|
|2||October/November 2006||Kelly Slater|
|3||December 2006/January 2007||Terje Håkonsen|
|4||March/April 2007||Tony Hawk|
|5||May/June 2007||Bobby Martinez|
|6||July/August 2007||Laird Hamilton|
|7||October/November 2007||Victoria Jealouse|
|8||January/February 2008||Bam Margera|
|9||March/April 2008||Jack Johnson|
|10||May/June 2008||Tom Curren|
|11||July/August 2008||Scott Bourne|
|12||September/October 2008||Stephanie Gilmore|
|13||November/December 2008||Nicolas Müller|
|14||April/May 2009||Ben Harper|
|15||June/July 2009||Maya Gabeira|
|16||August/September 2009||Mos Def|
|17||October/November 2009||The Malloy Brothers|
|18||December 2009/January 2010||Spike Jonze|
|19||February/March 2010||Rob Machado|
|20||April/May 2010||Rodney Mullen|
|22||September 2010||The Counterculture Issue|
|23||November 2010||Kelly Slater|
|24||December 2010/January 2011||David Carson|
|25||March/April 2011||John Cardiel|
|26||May/June 2011||Rivers Cuomo|
|27||July/August 2011||Miranda July|
|28||September 2011||Andrew Reynolds|
|29||October/November 2011||Travis Rice|
|30||December 2011/January 2012||Shepard Fairey|
|31||February/March 2012||The No Heroes Issue|
|32||April/May 2012||Thomas Campbell|
|33||June/July 2012||The Identity Issue|
|34||August/September 2012||Shaun Tomson|
|35||October/November 2012||The On The Road Issue|
|36||December 2012/January 2013||Nas|
|37||February/March 2013||Mark Gonzales|
|38||April/May 2013||Dave Eggers|
|39||June/July 2013||Sofia Coppola|
|40||August/September 2013||Cat Power|
|41||October/November 2013||The Documentary Photography Special I|
|42||December/January 2014||The Improv Issue|
|43||March/April 2014||The Boogie Issue|
|44||May/June 2014||The Tommy Guerrero Issue|
|45||July/August 2014||The Ed Templeton Issue|
|46||September/October 2014||The Documentary Photography Special II|
|47||November/December 2014||The Julian Casablancas Issue|
|48||January/February 2015||The Origins Issue|
|49||March/April 2015||The Survival Issue|
|50||May/June 2015||The 50th Issue Special|
|51||July/August 2015||The Adventure Issue|
|52||September/October 2015||The Documentary Photography Special III|
|53||November/December 2015||The Change Issue|
|54||February/March 2016||The Defiance Issue|
|55||May/June 2016||The Freaked Out Issue|
|56||July/August 2016||The Independence Issue|
|57||October/November 2016||The Documentary Photography Special IV|
|58||December/January 2017||The Offline Issue|
|59||February/March 2017||The Game-Changer Issue|
|60||May/June 2017||The Outsider Issue|
|61||August/September 2017||The No Regrets Issue|
|62||October/November 2017||The Documentary Photography Special V|
|63||December/January 2018||The Fantasy Issue|
|64||March/April 2018||The Journeys Issue|
|65||May/June 2018||The Coming-of-Age Issue|
|66||August/September 2018||The Attitude Issue|
|67||November/December 2018||The Documentary Photography Special VI|
|68||January/February 2019||The Flying Lotus Issue|
|69||April/May 2019||The Hedonism Issue ft. Mac DeMarco|
|70||July/August 2019||The Burnout Issue ft. Tame Impala|
- "Six Things I Learned Reading Every Last Word of Huck". The New York Times. November 27, 2012. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- "About Huck". Huck. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- "Latest addition to surfing's new wave". The Guardian. May 15, 2006. Retrieved April 27, 2014.
- "About Huck". Archived from the original on 17 July 2014. Retrieved 28 July 2017.
- "Behind the scenes: Huck magazine". stackmagazines.com. August 3, 2016. Retrieved January 15, 2018.
- "Chronicle London 2014 Rights Guide" (PDF). Chronicle Books. Retrieved April 27, 2014.
- "Art and design NOW – up close and personal". london.imagination.com. August 14, 2012. Retrieved April 27, 2014.
- "SPD 49 Merit Winners Announced". www.spd.org. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- "Art Directors Club Awards Archive". www.adcawards.org. Art Directors Club. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- "Articles:Homophobia in Skateboarding". www.patrickwelch.co.uk. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- "Little White Lies & HUCK Double Cover". www.dandad.org/awards/. D&AD. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- "2009 Best Covers". www.themaggies.co.uk. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- "Press Gazette magazine awards shortlist revealed". Press Gazette. Progressive Media International. Archived from the original on April 27, 2014. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
|This sports magazine or journal-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.