|Locale||Genesee Township, Michigan|
|Dates of operation||1976–present|
|Track gauge||3 ft (914 mm)|
|Headquarters||Crossroads Village, a county park in Genesee Township, Michigan|
The Huckleberry Railroad is a 3 ft (914 mm) narrow gauge heritage railroad located in Genesee Township, Michigan, near Flint. The railroad operates alongside Crossroads Village which is operated by the Genesee County Parks and Recreation Commission.
The Huckleberry Railroad began operating in 1872 as part of the Flint River Railroad. The Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad later extended the branch line from Flint to Otter Lake. It later came to be known as the Otter Lake Branch. Eventually the track was extended by another 4.5 miles from Otter Lake to Fostoria, for a total of 19.5 miles from Flint to Fostoria.
The Pere Marquette Railway abandoned the Otter Lake to Fostoria line in 1932, and the Otisville to Otter Lake line a year later. The Huckleberry Railroad began operations in 1976 on the remaining line when the Genesee County Parks and Recreation Commission opened Crossroads Village.
The Huckleberry Railroad owns several locomotives and many pieces of rolling stock. Two locomotives have even been restored to operating condition. Former Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad 464, a K-27 class, known as "mudhens", 2-8-2 steam locomotive built by Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1903, pulls vintage wooden passenger cars along the shores of Mott Lake. The other engine used is former Alaska Railroad #152, a ten-wheeler built in 1920 at the Baldwin Locomotive Works. #152 is currently undergoing an extensive service/rebuild and is expected to go back into service by at least 2017.
- 464: Former Denver & Rio Grande Western 1903 Baldwin K-27 #464
- 5: Former American Smelting and Refining Co. Plymouth JCD #5
- 7: Former National Tube Works General-Electric 50 ton #7
- 11: Former Badger Army Ammunition Plymouth HSG #585
- 12: Former Badger Army Ammunition Plymouth HSG #571
Out of Service
- 3: Former Quincy & Torch Lake 1894 Brooks 2-6-0 #3 (On 99-Year Lease from The Quincy Mine Hoist Association, Hancock, MI.)
- 4: Former Potosi & Rio Verde 1904 Baldwin 2-8-0 #4 (On Display by the Main Line)
- 152: Former Alaska Railroad 1920 Baldwin 4-6-0 #152 (Undergoing Overhaul)
- Flint River Railroad
- List of heritage railroads in the United States
- History of railroads in Michigan
- Huckleberry Railroad Genesee County Parks & Recreation Commission
- 1932 Railroad History Time Line MichiganRailroads.com
- 1933 Railroad History Time Line MichiganRailroads.com
- 1976 Railroad History Time Line MichiganRailroads.com
- Station: Davison, Michigan MichiganRailroads.com
- Rio Grande Modeling & Historical Society
- Crossroads Village and Huckleberry Railroad
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Huckleberry Railroad.|
- Railroad's website
- Crossroads Village attractions
- D&RGW-related Steam Locomotive Rosters
- Crossroads Village & Huckleberry Railroad Official Facebook page