Hucks Gibbs, 1st Baron Aldenham
Aldenham the son of George Henry Gibbs, whose father Antony Gibbs was a brother of Sir Vicary Gibbs, a Chief Justice of the Common Pleas. He was a Senior Partner in the family firm of Antony Gibbs & Sons, and was a Director of the Bank of England from 1853 to 1901, its Deputy Governor, and finally its Governor from 1875 to 1877.
He was elected as a Member of Parliament (MP) for the City of London at an unopposed by-election in April 1891, and held the seat until the general election in July 1892, when his oldest son Alban was elected in his place. He also held the office of High Sheriff of Hertfordshire in 1884. In 1896 he was raised to the peerage as Baron Aldenham, of Aldenham in the County of Hertford. A member of the Philological Society, he was a major benefactor to the Oxford English Dictionary.
Lord Aldenham married Louisa Anne, daughter of William Adams and the Hon. Mary Anne Cokayne, in 1845. Their fourth son the Hon. Herbert Cokayne Gibbs was created Baron Hunsdon of Hunsdon in 1923 while their fifth son the Venerable the Hon. Kenneth Francis Gibbs was Archdeacon of St Albans. Lady Aldenham died in 1897. Lord Aldenham survived her by ten years and died in September 1907, aged 88. He was succeeded in the barony by his eldest son Alban.
Children of Lord and Lady Aldenham:
- Alban Gibbs, 2nd Baron Aldenham 1846-1936
- Hon. Edith Caroline Gibbs 1848-1942
- Walter Antony Gibbs 1850-1858
- Hon. Vicary Gibbs 1853-1932
- Herbert Gibbs, 1st Baron Hunsdon 1854-1935
- Venerable Hon. Kenneth Francis Gibbs 1856-1935
- Hon. Henry Lloyd Gibbs 1861-1907
- "Obituary. Lord Aldenham". The Times (London). 14 September 1907. p. 6, col C. Retrieved 6 February 2011. (subscription required)
- "Mr. Vicary Gibbs "The Complete Peerage"". The Times (London). 14 January 1932. p. 14, col D. Retrieved 6 February 2011. (subscription required)
- "Deputy Governors of the Bank of England" (PDF). Bank of England. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1885–1918 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 11. ISBN 0-900178-27-2.
- The London Gazette: . 21 April 1891. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "L" (part 3)[self-published source][better source needed]
- The London Gazette: . 7 March 1884. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- The London Gazette: . 4 February 1896. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- Welch 1912.
- Welch, Charles (1912). "Gibbs, Henry Hucks". In Lee, Sidney. Dictionary of National Biography, 1912 supplement. London: Smith, Elder & Co.
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990.
- Henry Hucks Gibbs at ThePeerage.com
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Henry Hucks Gibbs
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages – Peerages beginning with "A" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Thomas Charles Baring
Sir Robert Fowler, Bt
|Member of Parliament for City of London
1891 – 1892
With: Sir Robert Fowler, Bt to May 1891
Sir Reginald Hanson, Bt from June 1891
Sir Reginald Hanson, Bt
Alban Gibbs, 2nd Baron Aldenham
Benjamin Buck Greene
|Governor of the Bank of England
Edward Howley Palmer
|High Sheriff of Hertfordshire
Sir Astley Paston-Cooper
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation||Baron Aldenham