|Coordinates (city): Coordinates:|
|• Alcalde||Carlos Cuadrado Prats (PPD)|
|• Total||44.8 km2 (17.3 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,700/km2 (4,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-4 (CLT )|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-3 (CLST )|
|Area code(s)||56 +|
|Website||Municipality of Huechuraba|
Huechuraba has a mild mediterranean climate: relatively hot dry summers (November to March) with temperatures reaching up to 35 °C (95 °F) on the hottest days; winters (June to August) are more humid, with typical maximum daily temperatures of 12 °C (54 °F), and minimums of a few degrees above freezing.
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, Huechuraba spans an area of 44.8 km2 (17 sq mi) and has 74,070 inhabitants (36,433 men and 37,637 women), making the commune an entirely urban area. The population grew by 19.9% (12,286 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses. The projected 2006 population was 82,200 (2006 projection)[failed verification]
- Average annual household income: $52,904 (PPP, 2006)[failed verification]
- Population below poverty line: 14.5% (2006)
- Regional quality of life index: 73.23, medium, 31 out of 52 (2005)
- Human Development Index: 0.737, 56 out of 341 (2003)
As a commune, Huechuraba is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2012-2016 alcalde is Carlos Cuadrado Prats (PPD). The communal council has the following members:
- Daniel Arias Galleguillos (IND)
- Freddy Seguel Rojas (PPD)
- Luzmenia Toro Sepulveda (PC)
- Leonardo Igor Bustamante (PS)
- Eduardo Flores Concha (UDI)
- Macarena Zamorano Fernández (IND)
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, Huechuraba is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Karla Rubilar (RN) and María Antonieta Saa (PPD) as part of the 17th electoral district, (together with Conchalí and Renca). The commune is represented in the Senate by Guido Girardi Lavín (PPD) and Jovino Novoa Vásquez (UDI) as part of the 7th senatorial constituency (Santiago-West).
- "Municipality of Huechuraba" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Asociación Chilena de Municipalidades" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "National Statistics Institute" (in Spanish). Retrieved 13 December 2010.
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Archived from the original on 11 September 2007. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Archived from the original on 11 September 2007. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "System of Regional Information". Ministry of Planning of Chile. Archived from the original on 23 August 2010. Retrieved 12 September 2010.
- "Poverty in the Santiago Metropolitan Region" (PDF). Ministry of Planning of Chile (in Spanish). Archived from the original (PDF) on August 24, 2007.
- "The Trajectories of Human Development in the Communes of Chile (1994-2003)" (PDF). Government of Chile, Mideplán. UNDP. Archived from the original (PDF) on 7 July 2011. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- (in Spanish) Municipality of Huechuraba