He graduated B.A. at Christ's College, Cambridge, in 1564; he then became M.A. and fellow of Jesus College, Cambridge in 1567. He was ordained bishop of Bangor in 1585, and bishop of Chester in 1595.
- A. L. Rowse, The Expansion of Elizabethan England (2003 edition), p. 78.
- "Bellot, Hugh (BLT561H)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "Bishops". Churchineales.org. The Church in Wales. 2008-12-06. Retrieved 2016-07-15.
- "Cambrian Travellers Guide Wrexham 1840". Wrecsam.com. Retrieved 2016-07-15.
- Mew, James (1885). "Bellot, Hugh". In Stephen, Leslie. Dictionary of National Biography. 4. London: Smith, Elder & Co.
- Williams, Glanmor. "Bellot, Hugh (1542–1596)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/2060. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Bangor
|Bishop of Chester