Hugh Bicheno (born 1948) is a political risk analyst and an historian of conflict. He is best known for his interpretations of the Falklands War in his best-selling Razor's Edge: The Unofficial History of the Falklands War, and of the American Revolution in Rebels and Redcoats: The American Revolutionary War.
Bicheno was born in Cuba to British parents in 1948. He was educated in Cuba, Chile and Scotland before winning a scholarship to Emmanuel College, Cambridge, where he won a first class honours degree in History. He was first an academic and then an officer in the British Secret Intelligence Service. Later he became a security consultant in Italy and across Latin America, specializing in kidnap negotiations. He lived in the United States for several years and became a naturalised citizen, but now lives in England. He is bilingual English-Spanish, speaks and reads Italian and French.
Reviewing Razor's Edge, the late Sir John Keegan noted that "Bicheno has much to say, highly entertainingly" about the Falklands War, and describes the book as "gripping and discomfiting."
Bicheno collaborated with his friend the late Richard Holmes on Battlefields of the Second World War, In the Footsteps of Churchill and The World at War. Holmes wrote the prefaces to Rebels and Redcoats and Razor's Edge and also made a television series adaptation of Rebels and Redcoats.
- Gettysburg (Cassell, 2001) ISBN 0-304-35698-0
- Midway (Cassell, 2001) ISBN 0-304-35715-4
- Rebels & Redcoats: The American Revolutionary War (HarperCollins 2003) ISBN 0-00-715625-1
- Crescent and Cross: The Battle of Lepanto, 1571 (Cassell, 2003) ISBN 0-304-36319-7
- Razor's Edge: The Unofficial History of the Falklands War (Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 2006) ISBN 0-297-84633-7
- Vendetta: High Art and Low Cunning at the Birth of the Renaissance (Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 2008) ISBN 978-0-297-84634-5
- Elizabeth's Sea Dogs: How the English Became the Scourge of the Seas (Conway, 2012) ISBN 978-1-844-86174-3
- Battle Royal: the Wars of Lancaster and York 1440-1462 (Head of Zeus, 2015) ISBN 978-1-781-85965-0
- Blood Royal: the Wars of Lancaster and York 1462-1485 (Head of Zeus, 2016) ISBN 978-1-781-85968-1
- Crescent and Cross (Endeavour Kindle Edition, 2019) ASIN B07S8BW72X
- The Wars of the Roses (Head of Zeus, 2019) ISBN 978-1-789-54472-5
- "Falklands War 30 years on: 'The British have learned nothing'". RT. May 2, 2012. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- Keegan, John (April 16, 2006). "How we won the war in the wet Malvinas". The Telegraph. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
|This biography of an American historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a British historian or genealogist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|