Hugh Clifford, 3rd Baron Clifford of Chudleigh
Hugh Clifford, 3rd Baron Clifford of Chudleigh was born on 14 April 1700 and died on 26 March 1732 in Ugbrooke, where he was buried. He was the son of Hugh Clifford, 2nd Baron Clifford of Chudleigh and his wife Anne, née Preston.
He succeeded his father as baron in 1730 when his father died. And he was succeeded by his eldest son when he died after only two years as baron.
In 1725, he married Elizabeth Blount, who died in 1778 in Paris, France. She was the daughter of Edward Blount of Blagdon in the parish of Paignton in Devon, son of the 2nd Baronet Blount, of Soddington, co. Westmoreland, and Annabella Guise, daughter of the 2nd Baronet Guise of Elmore, co. Gloucester. They had six children, four sons and two daughters.
Their daughters were:
- Hon Elizabeth Clifford, died as infant.
- Hon. Mary Clifford, born 1731, died on 2 November 1784, married in 1766 Edward Smythe, 4th Baronet Smythe, of Eske Hall, Co. Durham (1719–1784). They had no issue.
Their sons were:
- Hugh Clifford, 4th Baron Clifford of Chudleigh (1726–1783)
- Hon. Edward Clifford, born 1727, died 1781.
- Hon. Henry Clifford, died as infant.
- Hon. Thomas Clifford of Tixall, born on 22 August 1732 in London, died 1787. He acceded in Tixall, Staffordshire. On 2 February 1762, he married at St. James's, Westminster, London, the Hon. Barbara Aston, who was born 4 September 1744, baptized 8 September 1744 at Standon, Hertfordshire, became heiress of the estate at Tixall in 1759, and died on 2 August 1786, the daughter of James Aston, 5th Lord Aston of Forfar (1723–1751) and (Lady) Barbara (Maria) Talbot (1720–1759) daughter of George Talbot and Mary FitzWilliam (and sister of the 14th Earl of Shrewsbury), and sister-in-law to the 6th Baronet Blount, of Sodington, Worcestershire. They had nine sons:
- Sir Thomas Hugh Clifford Constable, 1st Baronet Constable, of Tixall, co. Stafford (1762–1823)
- Edward Clifford, born 1766, died young.
- Henry Clifford, born 1768, died 1813, married Ann Ferrers, daughter of Edward Ferrers.
- Walter Clifford, born 1773, died 1806 in Palermo, Sicily, became a clergyman.
- Edward J. Clifford, born 1774, died ?, acceded 1817.
- James Francis Clifford, born 1775, died 1855.
- Arthur Clifford, born 1778, died 1830, was the publisher of Cliffordiana and Collectanea Cliffordiana. He married in 1809 Eliza Matilda McDonald, daughter of Captain Donald McDonald from/of Berwick-on-Tweed, Northumberland. They had one daughter:
- Rosamund Clifford, who married J. S. Charlton.
- Lewis Clifford, born 1778, died 1806.
- George Lambert Clifford, born on 9 January 1779, died on 31 January 1854, married on 6 April 1812 Mary Coyney, who died on 22 July 1854, daughter of Walter Hill Coyney of/from Foxearth, Staffordshire. They had five sons and three daughters.
- Charles Clifford, 1st Baronet Clifford, of Flaxbourne, New Zealand (1813–1893)
- Edward Clifford, a priest
- George Clifford, a priest
- Walter Clifford, a priest
- Alphonso Clifford, born 1830, died 1893.
- Mary Lucy Clifford, died 1868.
- Constancia Clifford, died 1894.
- Francesca Clifford.
- Faulkner, Thomas (1839), The history and antiquities of the parish of Hammersmith: interspersed with biographical notices of illustrious and eminent persons ..., Nichols & Son, p. 252, footnote m
- Lundy, Darryl (30 May 2004), Barbara Maria Talbot, The Peerage
- Cokayne, G.E. (2000), The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, I, et all (new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959); reprint in 6 volumes ed.), Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, p. 287
|Baron Clifford of Chudleigh||Succeeded by