Hugh Howard (historian)
Hugh Howard (born 1952) is an American historian, writer, and speaker. He has written over a dozen books about architecture. His book, Houses of Civil War America, was listed as one of Southern Living 's best illustrated books of Fall 2014.
Aside from writing books, Howard has also written for numerous publications including, Smithsonian, New York Times, Washington Post, House Beautiful, Preservation, Early American Life, Traditional Homes, and others. He was also a researcher, writer, and scout for a few television specials produced by the A&E Network.
Howard was the founding editor of The Eastfield Record and Vice President of the New York Times Book Company, Inc.. He is an Attingham scholar. Currently he is a member on the board of directors of the Mark Twain House and Museum.
- Howard, Hugh (2016). Architecture's Odd Couple: Frank Lloyd Wright and Philip Johnson. Bloomsbury Press. ISBN 1620403757.
- Howard, Hugh; Straus III, Roger (2015). Thomas Jefferson: Architect: The Built Legacy of our Third President. Rizzoli. ISBN 978-0847845392.
- Howard, Hugh; Straus, Roger (2014). Houses of Civil War America: The Homes of Robert E. Lee, Frederick Douglass, Abraham Lincoln, Clara Barton, and Others Who Shaped the Era. Little, Brown and Company. ISBN 978-0316227988.
- Howard, Hugh (2014). Mr. and Mrs. Madison's War: America's First Couple and the War of 1812. Bloomsbury Press. ISBN 978-1608193936.
- Howard, Hugh; Straus, Roger (2012). Houses of the Presidents: Childhood Homes, Family Dwellings, Private Escapes, and Grand Estates. Little, Brown and Company. ISBN 978-0316133272.
- Howard, Hugh; Straus III, Roger (2011). Writers of the American South: Their Literary Landscapes. Rizzoli Universe Promotional Books. ISBN 978-0789324146.
- Howard, Hugh (2009). The Painter's Chair: George Washington and the Making of American Art. Bloomsbury Press. ISBN 1596912448.
- Howard, Hugh (2007). Houses of the Founding Fathers: The Men who Made America and the Way They Lived. Artisan. ISBN 978-1579655105.
- Howard, Hugh (2006). Dr. Kimball and Mr. Jefferson: Rediscovering the Founding Fathers of American Architecture. Bloomsbury USA. ISBN 978-1582344553.
- Howard, Hugh; Kurzaj, Radek (2004). Colonial Houses: The Historic Homes of Williamsburg. Harry N. Abrams. ISBN 978-0810943391.
- Howard, Hugh; Strauss III, Roger (2003). Natchez: The Houses and History of the Jewel of the Mississippi. Rizzoli. ISBN 978-0847825721.
- Howard, Hugh (2003). Thomas Jefferson: Architect. Rizzoli. ISBN 978-0847825462.
- Howard, Hugh (2001). House-Dreams. Algonquin Books. ISBN 978-1565122932.
- Howard, Hugh (2001). Wright for Wright. Rizzoli. ISBN 978-0847823666.
- Howard, Hugh (1992). Preservationist's Progress: Architectural Adventures in Conserving Yesterday's Houses. Noonday Pr. ISBN 978-0374523404.
- Howard, Hugh (1989). How Old is This House?. Farrar Straus & Giroux. ISBN 978-0374173241.
- Howard, Hugh (1987). I'm Not Doing it Myself: The Comprehensive Guide to Managing a Home Construction or Renovation Project. Farrar Straus & Giroux. ISBN 978-0374520588.
- Howard, Hugh (1986). The Home Inspection Handbook. Main Street Books. ISBN 978-0385231947.
- Kitchens, Melody (14 October 2014). "Fall's Best New Southern Design Books". Southern Living. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- "Hugh Howard to discuss, sign new book at Stowe House". West Hartford News. 22 February 2015. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- "Hugh Howard Book Signing". A Cappella Books. 2014. Archived from the original on 5 March 2016. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- "Hugh Howard: Mr. and Mrs. Madison's War". Pritzker Military Museum and Library. 11 April 2012. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- "Hugh Howard". Bloomsbury Publishing. Retrieved 19 March 2015.