Hugh Hume-Campbell, 3rd Earl of Marchmont
Hume-Campbell was the son of Alexander Hume-Campbell, 2nd Earl of Marchmont, by Margaret, daughter and heiress Sir George Campbell, of Cessnock. On 1 May 1731, he married Ann Western (d. 1747), daughter of Robert Western of London and niece of Sir Richard Shirley, 3rd Baronet. They had one son and three daughters:
- Patrick Hume-Campbell, Lord Polwarth (died young)
- Lady Anne Hume-Campbell (c.1734 – 27 July 1790), married on 23 October 1735 Sir John Paterson, 3rd Baronet and had issue
- Lady Margaret Hume-Campbell (d. 7 January 1764), married on 20 September 1763 James Stuart, without issue
- Lady Diana Hume-Campbell, married in 1754 Walter Scott of Harden (d. 1793), and had issue; later Lady Polwarth suo jure and de jure.
He was returned to parliament for Berwick-upon-Tweed in 1734, a seat he held until 1740. From 1750 to 1784 he sat in the House of Lords as a Scottish Representative Peer. He also served as First Lord of the Police (in Scotland) from 1747 to 1764.
Lord Marchmont made a second marriage on 30 January 1748, to Elizabeth Crompton (d. 12 February 1797). They had one son:
- Alexander Hume-Campbell, Lord Polwarth (1750–1781); created Baron Hume of Berwick in 1776, but died vita patris in 1781, without issue by his marriage to Amabel Grey.
In 1753, he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society. Sworn a Privy Counsellor in 1762, he was Governor of the Bank of Scotland from 1763 until 1790. Marchmont died in January 1794, aged 85, when the earldom became either extinct or dormant. The claim to his junior title Lord Polwarth was vested in his granddaughter Anne Anstruther. Marchmont is also said to have fathered an illegitimate son, David Rose, father of George Rose. However, this son is not mentioned by Thomas Finlay Henderson writing in the Dictionary of National Biography.
- thepeerage.com Hugh Hume, 3rd Earl of Marchmont
- leighrayment.com House of Commons: Bedford to Berwick upon Tweed
- leighrayment.com Representative peers - Scotland
- Henderson, Thomas Finlay (1885–1900). "Hume, Hugh". Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co.
|Parliament of Great Britain|
|Member of Parliament for Berwick-upon-Tweed
With: George Liddell
The Viscount Barrington
The Duke of Atholl
|Keeper of the Great Seal of Scotland
The Duke of Gordon
|Peerage of Scotland|
|Earl of Marchmont
|Extinct or dormant|
Anne Anstruther-Paterson (de jure)