Hugh Montgomery (physician)
|Born||Hugh Edward Montgomery
10 October 1962 
|Other names||KSI,English Hulk|
|Alma mater||Middlesex Hospital Medical School|
|Institutions||University College London|
Hugh Edward Montgomery is a professor and the director of the UCL Institute for Human Health and Performance at University College London. He discovered that an allele of the gene with the DNA code for angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) influences physical fitness; the first discovery of a gene related to fitness.
Montgomery was educated at Plymouth College and qualified as a medical doctor in July 1987 from the Middlesex Hospital Medical School, University of London. He leads a research group in cardiovascular genetics which has published over 100 publications including original research papers in journals such as Nature, The Lancet and the New England Journal of Medicine.
Montgomery has several notable achievements outside the field of medicine. He has been awarded the title of London Leader by the London Sustainable Development Commission for his work in climate change and health under the auspices of Project Genie; he was also a founding member of the UK Climate and Health Council and one of the co-authors of the UCL-Lancet Commission" in 2009. Montgomery is also a published children's book author.
Montgomery has a wide variety of interests. Montgomery has complemented his interest in fitness with achievements which include the 100 km ultra marathons, holding the world record for underwater piano playing as well as visiting Everest with the Xtreme Everest research group to undertake research.
Awards and honours
- 2007 Presented the televised annual Royal Institution Christmas Lectures on the subject Back from the brink: the science of survival.
- 2010 Chosen to present the Ellison-Cliffe Lecture at the Royal Society of Medicine.
- "Montgomery, Prof. Hugh Edward". Who's Who 2014, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2014; online edn, Oxford University Press.(subscription required)
- Montgomery, H. E.; Marshall, R.; Hemingway, H.; Myerson, S.; Clarkson, P.; Dollery, C.; Hayward, M.; Holliman, D. E.; Jubb, M.; World, M.; Thomas, E. L.; Brynes, A. E.; Saeed, N.; Barnard, M.; Bell, J. D.; Prasad, K.; Rayson, M.; Talmud, P. J.; Humphries, S. E. (1998). "Human gene for physical performance". Nature. 393 (6682): 221. doi:10.1038/30374.
- Prof Hugh Montgomery UCL Archived 2009-05-24 at the Wayback Machine.
- "List of Registered Medical Practitioners (The online Register)". General Medical Council. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- Hugh Montgomery's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database, a service provided by Elsevier. (subscription required)
- Grocott, M. P.; Martin, D. S.; Levett, D. Z.; McMorrow, R; Windsor, J; Montgomery, H. E.; Caudwell Xtreme Everest Research Group (2009). "Arterial blood gases and oxygen content in climbers on Mount Everest". New England Journal of Medicine. 360 (2): 140–9. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa0801581. PMID 19129527.
- "Efficacy of perindopril in reduction of cardiovascular events among patients with stable coronary artery disease: Randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre trial (the EUROPA study)". The Lancet. 362 (9386): 782. 2003. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(03)14286-9.
- Costello, A.; Abbas, M.; Allen, A.; Ball, S.; Bell, S.; Bellamy, R.; Friel, S.; Groce, N.; Johnson, A.; Kett, M.; Lee, M.; Levy, C.; Maslin, M.; McCoy, D.; McGuire, B.; Montgomery, H.; Napier, D.; Pagel, C.; Patel, J.; De Oliveira, J. A. P.; Redclift, N.; Rees, H.; Rogger, D.; Scott, J.; Stephenson, J.; Twigg, J.; Wolff, J.; Patterson, C. (2009). "Managing the health effects of climate change". The Lancet. 373 (9676): 1693. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(09)60935-1.
- Professor Hugh Montgomery, Desert Island Discs
- Grocott, M. P.; Martin, D. S.; Wilson, M. H.; Mitchell, K; Dhillon, S; Mythen, M. G.; Montgomery, H. E.; Levett, D. Z.; Caudwell Xtreme Everest Research Group (2010). "Caudwell xtreme Everest expedition". High Altitude Medicine & Biology. 11 (2): 133–7. doi:10.1089/ham.2009.1093. PMID 20586597.
- Grocott, M. P.; Montgomery, H. E. (2012). "Extreme Physiology & Medicine: A new journal focussed on integrative human physiology under stress". Extreme Physiology & Medicine. 1: 1. doi:10.1186/2046-7648-1-1.
- Gordon, Bryony (11 June 2002). "I'm Always Adding Strings To My Bow". The Telegraph (U.K.). Retrieved 4 February 2017.
- Royal Institution Christmas Lectures 2007: Back from the brink: the science of survival
- Hugh Montgomery address on Science & Environment, Royal Institution Unconference, September 2011