Hugh Tarpey (1821 – January 3, 1898) was a leading member of the Irish Liberal Party and a supporter of the campaign for Irish home rule. He served as Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1877 and 1878, High Sheriff of Dublin and as a Justice of the Peace in County Clare.
Tarpey was born in Clarecastle, County Clare in 1821. He was elected as an alderman in Dublin Corporation for the Royal Exchange ward in 1861, serving until the 1886 local elections. He was an unsuccessful when he ran for the Liberals in Galway Borough.
He served as Secretary of the Liberal Club.
His son, William Bernard Tarpey, also known as William Kingsley Tarpey, was a minor playwright in the late 19th century and early twentieth century.
- History of Dublin's Catholic Cemeteries, William J. Fitzpatrick 1900 W Lawrence and Son
- The Freeman's Journal. April 15, 1880.
- Slater's 1881 Directory of Dublin.
- The Irish Times. November 10, 1881.
- History of Dublin's Catholic Cemeteries
- The Irish Times. August 22, 1911.