Hughes River Wildlife Management Area
|Hughes River Wildlife Management Area|
|West Virginia Wildlife Management Area|
|Elevation||625 ft (190.5 m) |
|Area||10,000 acres (4,046.9 ha) |
|Management||Wildlife Resources Section, WV Division of Natural Resources|
|Owner||Heartwood Forestland Fund and Martin Marietta|
|IUCN category||IV - Habitat/Species government Area|
|Nearest city||Parkersburg, West Virginia|
Hughes River Wildlife Management Area is located in Wirt County and Ritchie County near Parkersburg, West Virginia. Located on 10,000 acres (4,000 ha) that border both the Little Kanawha River and the Hughes River. The WMA terrain varies from river bottom to steep hillsides covered with second growth oak-hickory hardwood stands and younger pine-hardwood woodlots.
To reach the Hughes River WMA from Parkersburg follow West Virginia Route 47 east about 15 miles (24 km) to the Wirt County and Ritchie County line. The Hughes River WMA is located on both sides of the road at the Wirt/Ritchie county line.
Hunting and Fishing
Camping is not permitted in the WMA. Camping is available at nearby North Bend State Park.
- Acme Mapper 2.0, Horse Creek WMA, retrieved October 31, 2008
- "Hughes River WMA page". WV Division of Natural Resources. Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- West Virginia DNR District 6 Wildlife Management Areas
- West Virginia Hunting Regulations
- West Virginia Fishing Regulations
- WVDNR map of Hughes River Wildlife Management Area