|Born||26 April 1834|
|Died||8 September 1915 (aged 81)|
|Alma mater||University of Göttingen|
|Known for||Schiff base, |
|Institutions||University of Pisa|
Museo di Storia Naturale di Firenze
University of Turin
|Doctoral advisor||Friedrich Wöhler|
Hugo (Ugo) Schiff (26 April 1834 – 8 September 1915) was an Italian naturalized chemist, German by nationality. He discovered Schiff bases and other imines, and was responsible for research into aldehydes; leading to his development of the Schiff test. He also worked in the field of amino acids and the Biuret reagent.
Born in Frankfurt am Main, Schiff was a student of Friedrich Wöhler in Göttingen. He completed his dissertation (Über einige Naphthyl- und Phenylderivate) also supervised by Wöhler in 1857. In the same year, due to political turmoil, Schiff left Germany in 1857 for Switzerland and the University of Bern. He was a supporter of socialism and reportedly corresponded with Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels. He also was a cofounder of the socialist Italian newspaper L'Avanti in 1894.
Schiff moved to Italy in 1863 holding positions in Pisa and then Museo di Storia Naturale di Firenze. In 1870 he cofounded the Gazzetta Chimica Italiana together with Stanislao Cannizzaro. In 1877 he became Professor of General Chemistry in Turin and returned to Florence in 1879 as Professor of General Chemistry at what later would become the University of Florence where he founded the Chemical Institute of the University of Florence. Schiff died in Florence.
In the University of Florence, the Hugo Schiff International Store House still exists today.
- This article is largely a translation from the German Wikipedia article. These references are taken from there.
- Introduzione allo studio della chimica [Introduction to the study of chemistry], series of Schiff's lessons at the Museo di Scienze Naturali, Edizioni Loescher, Torino, 1876.
- Einführung in das Studium der Chemie [Introduction to the study of chemistry], Prof. Hugo Schiff, Ed. Verlag von Theobald Grieben, Berlin, 1876.
- Untersuchungen über Metallhaltige Anilinderivate und über die Bildung des Anilinroths [Investigations into aniline derivaties containing metals and into the formation of aniline red], Hugo Schiff, Ed. Verlag von J. Springer, Berlin, 1864
- Notes from Schiff's lessons compiled by his pupil Andrea Torricelli, Voll. I - II, 1897.
- Schiff, Hugo (1864). "Mittheilungen aus dem Universitäts-laboratorium in Pisa: 2. Eine neue Reihe organischer Basen" [Communications from the university laboratory in Pisa: 2. A new series of organic bases]. Annalen der Chemie und Pharmacie (in German). 131: 118–119. doi:10.1002/jlac.18641310113.
- Schiff, Ugo (1866). "Sopra una nova serie di basi organiche" [On a new series of organic bases]. Giornale di scienze naturali ed economiche (in Italian). 2: 201–257.
- Schiff, Hugo (1866). "Eine neue Reihe organischer Diamine" [A new series of organic diamines]. Annalen der Chemie und Pharmacie, Supplementband (in German). 3: 343–370.
- Schiff, Hugo (1866). "Eine neue Reihe organischer Diamine. Zweite Abtheilung" [A new series of organic diamines. Second part.]. Annalen der Chemie und Pharmacie (in German). 140: 92–137. doi:10.1002/jlac.18661400106.
- Hugo (Ugo) Schiff, Schiff Bases, and a Century of b-Lactam Synthesis Thomas T. Tidwell Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2007, 46, 2–7 doi:10.1002/anie.200702965 PMID 18022986