St. Nicholas's Church, Huish
Huish Heart, a heart-shaped copse
|Huish shown within Wiltshire|
|Population||43 (in 2011)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Dorset and Wiltshire|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
Huish is a small village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, 2 miles (3.2 km) northwest of Pewsey and 4 miles (6.4 km) southwest of Marlborough. It is on the south-facing edge of the Marlborough Downs, where the downs adjoin the Vale of Pewsey.
Huish is known for its "heart", the wooden outline for a heart near Huish Hill with planted flowers in it. This makes the heart a geoglyph, but not quite a hill figure like the many surrounding "white horses" such as the Marlborough White Horse.
Huish falls within the area of the Wiltshire Council unitary authority, which is responsible for all significant local government functions, and is represented there by Paul Oatway who succeeded Brigadier Robert Hall in 2013.
The total of residents reached a high of 133 in 1841 and again in 1861 (having slightly fallen in 1851), before reaching a low of 30 in 1971.
- Crittall, Elizabeth (ed.); Baggs, A. P.; Crowley, D. A.; Pugh, Ralph B.; Stevenson, Janet H.; Tomlinson, Margaret (1975). Victoria County History: A History of the County of Wiltshire, Volume 10: Swanborough hundred; the borough of Devizes.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus (1975). Cherry, Bridget, ed. The Buildings of England: Wiltshire. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. ISBN 0140710264.
- "Wiltshire Community History - Census". Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 15 February 2015. Note ONS raw data (as opposed to this County Council figure) is for an area 'too small to publish all data for reasons of confidentiality of living people' its parish data being combined with much of Wilcot into output area E00162557 so more demographic statistics will become available in a few decades from 2011
- "Standing Orders" (PDF). Wilcot and Huish (with Oare) Parish Council. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
Media related to Huish, Wiltshire at Wikimedia Commons
- "Wiltshire Community History - Huish". Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- "Victoria County History - Huish, Wiltshire". British History Online. University of London. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- "Wilcot and Huish with Oare parish website". Retrieved 28 February 2014.
|This article about a location in Wiltshire is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|