|Region||Amsterdam metropolitan area|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Niek Meijer (acting) (VVD)|
|• Total||23.32 km2 (9.00 sq mi)|
|• Land||15.81 km2 (6.10 sq mi)|
|• Water||7.51 km2 (2.90 sq mi)|
|Elevation||3 m (10 ft)|
|• Density||2,611/km2 (6,760/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
The name "Huizen" is Dutch for "houses" and this usage has been linked to the belief that the first stone houses, instead of the more common sod houses at the time, in the region appeared here. Huizen is part of the metropolitan area of Amsterdam.
Huizen was originally an agricultural village, nearby the Zuiderzee until 1932. During wintertime the farmers went fishing, which started the development from an agricultural village to a coastal village with a thriving fishing industry, which was stimulated by building the harbour around 1850. After the damming of the Zuiderzee due the making of the Afsluitdijk in 1932, the old sea was degraded to a lake, without any economical activities shifted towards industry and commerce.
In the 1960s the town was designated to build substantially large residential areas, to overcome the housing shortage in the region. From then on, the village took on an influx of people and grew rapidly.
Huizen is part of the area the Gooi. The Gooi is known in the Netherlands as the home of the rich and famous.
Topographic map of Huizen, March 2014.
The municipal council of Huizen consists of 27 seats, which are divided as follows:
- Henk Bos (1901–1979) a Dutch painter
- Karel Voous (1920–2002) a Dutch ornithologist and author
- Willem Oltmans (1925–2004) a Dutch pro-active investigative journalist and author
- Dorret Boomsma (born 1957 in Huizen) a Dutch biological psychologist specializing in genetics and twin studies
- Arnoud Boot (born 1960) a Dutch economist and academic
- Michiel Dudok van Heel (1924–2003) a sailor, competed at the 1952 Summer Olympics
- Nick de Jong (born 1942) a retired sailor, competed at the 1964 Summer Olympics
- Noémi Boekel (born 1984 in Huizen) a Dutch softball player, competed at the 2008 Summer Olympics
- Marlou van der Kulk (born 1993) a Dutch Paralympic swimmer, bronze medallist at the 2012 Summer Paralympics
- "Burgemeester mr. A.Ph. Hertog" (in Dutch). Gemeente Huizen. Archived from the original on 11 March 2014. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2020" [Key figures for neighbourhoods 2020]. StatLine (in Dutch). CBS. 24 July 2020. Retrieved 19 September 2020.
- "Postcodetool for 1276KB". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Archived from the original on 21 September 2013. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 1 January 2019. Retrieved 1 January 2019.