|City and Municipality|
Basilica of Hulst in 2006
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Jan-Frans Mulder (CDA)|
|• Total||251.82 km2 (97.23 sq mi)|
|• Land||201.44 km2 (77.78 sq mi)|
|• Water||50.38 km2 (19.45 sq mi)|
|Elevation||3 m (10 ft)|
|Population (August 2017)|
|• Density||136/km2 (350/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Hulst received city rights in the 12th century.
A further siege took place in 1702, where General Menno van Coehoorn defended the town successfully for the Dutch and in 1747 when it was taken by the French after incompetent defence by Lt General Pieter de la Rocque.
The name Hulst (Holly in English) would appear to come from the shape of the battlements. Holly is depicted growing around the towns crest.
Hulst is neighbouring the municipalities of Terneuzen in the west, Stekene (Belgium) and Sint-Gillis-Waas (B) in the south, Beveren (B) in the east, and Reimerswaal in the north. The river Western Scheldt separates the land of Reimerswaal and Hulst.
The population centers in the municipality are:
- Valentin de Lannoy: governor of Hulst.
View of Hulst painted in 1628 by Cornelis de Vos
Monument on the defensive rampart of Hulst
Artwork by Kris Ferket
- "College van burgemeester en wethouders" [Board of mayor and aldermen] (in Dutch). Gemeente Hulst. Archived from the original on 11 December 2013. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 4561EA". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Archived from the original on 21 September 2013. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- "Further". Lowensteyn.com. Retrieved 2012-03-12.
- (in Dutch) Geschiedenis van Hulst Archived 2009-03-12 at the Wayback Machine.. Hulst Vestingstad
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hulst.|
- Official website (in Dutch)