Human Head Studios
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015)|
Computer and video games
|Headquarters||Madison, Wisconsin, USA|
|Chris Rhinehart, Paul MacArthur, Ben Gokey, Ted Halsted, Jim Sumwalt, Shane Gurno|
Number of employees
It was founded in October 1997 by a group of six developers formerly from Raven Software: Chris Rhinehart, Paul MacArthur, Shane Gurno, Ben Gokey, James Sumwalt, and Ted Halsted—later joined by game producer Tim Gerritsen. Their first game was Rune, a third-person Viking action game. The company's most recent release was the long-anticipated first-person shooter Prey, a game that was executive produced by 3D Realms.
In 2002, they established a branch internal to the company dedicated to the development of non-electronic games, including role-playing games, board games and card games. The first release from this branch, The Redhurst Academy of Magic Student Handbook, won an Origins Award in 2003. They released several other board games and card games, but the Adventure Games Division was eventually closed in 2006.
On April 20, 2007, a news report indicated that the company's headquarters were at least partially destroyed in a fire. No injuries were reported. On October 1, 2007, the company moved back into their newly renovated offices. Rune is their only game for which they own the IP. They are also known for working on the Prey series and have helped with the development of BioShock Infinite and Defiance. In 2014, Human Head announced that they have revived a multiplayer video game called Minimum from TimeGate Studios, which filed for bankruptcy in 2013.
|2000||Blair Witch Volume II: The Legend of Coffin Rock||Windows|
|2000||Rune||Mac, Linux, Windows|
|2001||Rune: Halls of Valhalla||Mac, Linux, Windows|
|2001||Rune: Viking Warlord||PlayStation 2|
|2004||Dead Man's Hand||Windows, Xbox|
|2006||Prey||Mac, Linux, Windows, Xbox 360|
|2013||Batman: Arkham Origins||Wii U|
|2015||Lost Within||iOS, Fire|
|2015||Dungeon Defenders 2||PlayStation 4|
Canceled video games
- Redhurst Academy of Magic (2002)
- Gothica: Dracula's Revenge (2003)
- Gothica: The Halloween Scenarios (2004) (online-only release)
- Gothica: Frankenstein's Children (2005)
- Villainy – The Supervillainous Card Game (2006)
- Normal, Texas Roleplaying Game (2006)
- "Massive Fire Destroys East Side Building". Channel3000. April 20, 2007. Retrieved April 7, 2015.
- Chalk, Andy (April 10, 2014). "Ex-Prey 2 Studio Takes Over TimeGate's Minimum". The Escapist. Retrieved April 7, 2015.
- "Human Head Studios worked on Batman: Arkham Origins for Wii U". Nintendo Everything. October 25, 2013. Retrieved April 7, 2015.
- Phillips, Tom (March 3, 2015). "Prey developer Human Head announces survival horror Lost Within". Eurogamer. Retrieved April 7, 2015.
- Crecente, Brian (June 11, 2015). "Dungeon Defenders 2 coming to PS4 this year with help from Prey developer". Polygon. Retrieved June 11, 2015.
- Pitcher, Jenna (October 30, 2014). "Bethesda officially confirms Prey 2 cancellation". IGN. Retrieved April 7, 2015.
|This United States video game corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|