Human Life International
Human Life International is an American-based Roman Catholic activist pro-life organization. Founded in 1981 by Father Paul Marx (1920–2010), HLI is located in Front Royal, Virginia. Human Life International describes itself as "the largest international pro-life organization in the world", noting that it has affiliates and associates in over 80 nations worldwide. It has collaborated with secular organizations as well as those of various other religious denominations.
Its mission is to train, organize and equip pro-life leaders around the world. The organization is faithful to the Vatican, but works with people of all faiths to advance the pro-life cause.
- Fr Shenan Boquet is President.
- John Martin is Executive Vice President.
- Joseph Meaney is Director of International Coordination.
- Brian Clowes is Director of Research and Training.
- Monsignor Ignacio Carambula Barreiro is Director of the Rome office.
- Stephen Phelan is Communications Manager.
Accusations of Anti-Semitism
HLI founder Marx was criticized by the Anti-Defamation League in 1998, after accusations that he had referred to the "Jewish domination" of the pro-choice movement, as well as commenting that most French pro-choice activists were "Jewish", and once referred to a "female Jewish liar" whom he heard at a Bucharest World Population Conference. He is accused of making further controversial remarks in 1987, comparing abortion to the Holocaust and describing the former as a 'greater holocaust'. These charges are not corroborated with references to HLI's own publications, where the statements were allegedly made.
HLI stated that criticizing pro-choice Jews for their advocacy of abortion no more made Father Marx "anti-Semitic" than his constant criticism of pro-choice Catholics made him "anti-Catholic". HLI also points out that the founder of NARAL, Bernard Nathanson, was an abortionist who became a pro-life activist, including regular collaborations with HLI, and even speaking at HLI conferences. Nathanson, who was Jewish, also called abortion "the most atrocious holocaust in the history of the United States." HLI has challenged its critics to produce evidence of anti-Semitism other than that which appears in its critics' publications.
- About Human Life International
- "Pro life - Human Life International". Hli.org. 2013-05-02. Retrieved 2013-05-13.
- "Press Release - ADL Investigation Reveals Strain of Anti-Semitism in Extreme Factions of the Anti-Abortion Movement". Adl.org. Retrieved 2013-05-13.
- "Confronting the Canadian Anti-Life Network" by Brian Clowes, HLI, 1995, p. 9
- "Confronting the Canadian Anti-Life Network" by Brian Clowes, HLI, 1995, p. 11