Human Race Theatre Company
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Human Race Theatre Company is the professional producing theatre company of Dayton Ohio, dedicated to producing works on universal themes that explore the human condition and startle us all into a renewed awareness of ourselves. The HRTC is located in The Metropolitan Arts Building in downtown Dayton. The 212-seat Loft Theatre in downtown Dayton, Ohio serves as its home base, though it also stages one production each year in the 1,100-seat historic Victoria Theatre on their Broadway series.
The Human Race has put on more than 160 productions since its inception in 1986, and has an extensive theatre education program that annually serves more than 30,000 children and adults throughout southwestern Ohio.
Notable productions have included:
- A newly re-imagined production of Lionel Bart's Oliver!, featuring a cast of ten actors and using one piano, during the 2012-2013 season
- Another new musical from Gregg Coffin (Convenience, Five Course Love) the sung-thru right next to me, our 2011 production was the next step after staged reading in 2010
- The fall 2010 production of August: Osage County produced in collaboration with Wright State University's Department of Theatre, Dance and Motion Pictures
- The fall 2007 production of a new Stephen Schwartz piece entitled Snapshots: A Musical Scrapbook, with book by David Stern
- The 2004 world premiere of Barry Kleinbort and Joseph Thalken's musical Was
The Human Race Theatre Company is noted for its Musical Theatre Workshops, staged readings of new works, which began in 2000
Current and Recent Productions
2016-2017 Eichelberger Loft Series
- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street - A Musical Thriller with music, lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, book by Hugh Wheeler, directed by Scott Stoney. September 8 - October 2, 2016.
- Hail Mary! by Tom Dudzick, directed by Margarett Perry. November 3–20, 2016.
- The Santaland Diaries! Book by David Sedaris, adapted by Joe Mantello, directed by Scott Stoney. December 8–17, 2016.
- World Premiere 26 Pebbles by Eric Ulloa, directed by Igor Goldin. February 2–19, 2017.
- On Golden Pond by Ernest Thompson, directed by Richard E. Hess. April 6–23, 2017
- World Premiere TO BE ANNOUNCED JUNE 2017.