Human Rights Data Analysis Group
|Origins||AAAS Science and Human Rights Program|
|Product||data analysis in the field of human rights|
|Method||assisting human rights projects by conducting rigorous scientific and statistical analysis of large-scale human rights abuses|
|Owner||Human Rights Data Analysis Group|
|Patrick Ball, Megan Price|
|Mission||to produce unbiased, scientific results that bring clarity to human rights violence|
The Human Rights Data Analysis Group is a non-profit, non-partisan organization that applies rigorous science to the analysis of human rights violations around the world. The organization has published findings on conflicts in Syria, Colombia, Chad, Kosovo, Guatemala, Perú, East Timor, India, Liberia, Bangladesh, and Sierra Leone. The organization provided testimony in the war crimes trials of Slobodan Milošević and Milan Milutinović at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, and in Guatemala's Supreme Court in the trial of General José Efraín Ríos Montt, the de facto president of Guatemala in 1982-1983. Gen. Ríos was found guilty of genocide and crimes against humanity.
The Human Rights Data Analysis Group was founded in September 2002 by Patrick Ball as a part of the Science and Human Rights Program within the American Association for the Advancement of Science. It moved to the non-profit umbrella company Benetech on November 3, 2003. On February 1, 2013, HRDAG became an independent nonprofit organization, fiscally sponsored by Community Partners.
- Price, Megan; Jeff Klingner; Patrick Ball (2013). Preliminary Statistical Analysis of Documentation of Killings in the Syrian Arab Republic (PDF). The Benetech Human Rights Program, commissioned by the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR).
- Guzmán, Daniel; Tamy Guberek; Megan Price (2012). Unobserved Union Violence: Statistical Estimates of the Total Number of Trade Unionists Killed in Colombia,1999-2008 (PDF). The Benetech Human Rights Program.
- Silva, Romesh; Jeff Klingner; Scott Weikart (2010). State Coordinated Violence in Chad under Hissène Habré: A Statistical Analysis of Reported Prison Mortality in Chad's DDS Prisons and Command Responsibility of Hissène Habré, 1982-1990 (PDF). The Benetech Human Rights Program, for Human Rights Watch and the Chadian Association of Victims of Political Repression and Crimes.
- Ball, Patrick (1999). Policy or Panic? The Flight of Ethnic Albanians from Kosovo, March-May 1999. American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Davenport, Christian; Patrick Ball (2002). "Views to a Kill: Exploring the Implications of Source Selection in the Case of Guatemalan State Terror, 1977-1996". Journal of Conflict Resolution 46 (3): 427–450. doi:10.1177/0022002702046003005.
- Harrison, Ann (2006-02-09). "Coders Bare Invasion Death Count". Wired Magazine. Retrieved 2009-12-08.
- Malkin, Elisabeth (2013-05-10). "Former Leader of Guatemala Is Guilty of Genocide Against Mayan Group". The New York Times. Retrieved 2013-05-15.
- "AAAS - Science and Human Rights Program". Shr.aaas.org. Retrieved 2010-07-30.
- "Benetech Press Release". benetech.org. Retrieved 2013-02-22.
- Human Rights Data Analysis Group (official site)