The number of demonstrators involved in a human chain is often disputed; the organizers of the human chain often report higher numbers than governmental authorities.
List of notable human chains
|Date||Event||Location||Number of participants||Purpose|
|1983||Berkshire, England, United Kingdom||40,000 – 80,000||Protested siting of American nuclear missiles in West Germany.|
|May 25, 1986||Hands Across America||Across United States||5,000,000||Charitable event to raise money to fight hunger.|
|August 23, 1989||Baltic Way||Estonia; Latvia; Lithuania||2,000,000||Called for independence for Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania. Was followed by a similar chain on August 23, 1991, with people holding candles.|
|January 21, 1990||Reunion Day||Lviv–Kyiv, Ukrainian SSR (now Ukraine)||450,000 (according to Soviet militsiya); around 3,000,000 (according to organizers)||Marking the 71st anniversary of the Act Zluky, an agreement unifying the Ukrainian People's Republic and the West Ukrainian National Republic.|
|1997||XII World Youth Day, 1997||Paris, France||400,000||A 36 km ring surrounding Paris facing outwards, symbolically calling for peace.|
|16 May 1998||Jubilee 2000 Human Chain||Birmingham, UK||70,000 – 100,000||The first Chain demonstration by Jubilee 2000, a coalition of church and faith groups, overseas development agencies and others at the G8 Summit in Birmingham, UK, to highlight the indebted poverty of many poor countries and the need for the G8, World Bank and IMF to act to remit that debt. The Chain surrounded Birmingham city center including the International Convention Center.|
|September 8, 1999||Protest against violence in East Timor||Lisbon||over 300,000||A 20 km ring connecting the United Nations delegation and the embassies of Russia, China, UK, France and the US in Lisbon, calling for the end of violence in East Timor.|
|2000||Latin American Jubilee 2000||Germany||50,000||Called for debt forgiveness for developing nations.|
|February 28, 2004||228 Hand-in-Hand Rally||Taiwan: from Keelung to Eluanbi (500 kilometers, 300 miles)||over 1,000,000 (over 2,000,000 according to organizers)||Commemoration of the 228 Incident and protest of People's Republic of China missiles aimed at Taiwan.|
|July 25, 2004||Israeli Chain||Gush Katif (Jewish communities adjacent to the Gaza Strip, Israel), to the Western Wall, Jerusalem (90 kilometers)||130,000 (according to police); 200,000 (according to organizers)||Opposing Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's Disengagement Plan which involves dismantling of Jewish communities and settlements of Gush Katif.|
|May 1, 2006||Great American Boycott||New York City. (Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn Bronx)||12,000 (according to CNN )||Protesting H.R. 4437, a bill in Congress to toughen immigration checks.|
|February 25, 2008||Gaza Chain||Gaza||20,000 ||Protesting Israeli blockade of Gaza|
|September 1, 2008||"Stop Russia" campaign||Georgia||1,000,000 (according to the Georgian authorities)||Protesting Russian military intervention|
|October 24, 2008||2009 Tamil protests in India||Chennai, India||100,000 – 150,000||Protesting the violence against Tamils in Sri Lanka and the Sri Lankan Civil War.|
|December 13, 2008||"Mumbai citizens form human chain to protest attacks"||Mumbai, India||60,000||Protesting Against the terror attacks that took place in Mumbai on the 26th of November 2008|
|January 28, 2009||2009 Tamil protests in Canada||Toronto, Canada||20,000||Protesting the violence against Tamils in Sri Lanka and the Sri Lankan Civil War.|
|June 9, 2009||Green Chain, Iran's Presidential Election
2009 Iranian Election Protests
|Tehran, Iran||18,000 – 30,000||In support of Mir-Hossein Mousavi|
|October 2, 2009||Kerala CPM,
2009 ASEAN agreement Protest
|Kerala, India||3,000,000 - 4,000,000+ (30 to 40 lakh according to estimates made by organizers before the protest)||Protesting against the ASEAN and New Delhi free trade agreement|
|February 3, 2010||Telangana JAC,
Telangana Human Chain
|Andhra Pradesh, India||50,000||The people of Telangana formed a 500 kilometers-long human chain all along the National Highway number 7 from Adilabad on the northernmost tip of the region to Alampur on the borders of Kurnool district, to press their demand for forming a separate state.[verification needed]|
|December 10, 2012||Human Chain for Human Rights.||Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India||20,000 tribal students.||25 km long Human chain formed for Human Rights on Human Rights Day on December 10, 2012 by 20,000 tribal students of Kalinga Institute of Social Science (KISS) in Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India .|
|September 11, 2013||Catalan Way Towards Independence||Throughout Catalonia||1,600,000||480 km long Human chain organized by the Assemblea Nacional Catalana for the independence of Catalonia.|
|November 29, 2013||Pro-European Union protests / Against Russian intervention||Various, largest from Ukraine to Subcarpathian Voivodeship. Also Lithuania - Latvia.||>2,000,000||Symbolic "linking" of Ukraine to the European Union|
|June 8, 2014||Human Chain For The Right to Decide of the Basque Country||Throughout Basque Country, from Durango to Iruñea-Pamplona||>150,000||123 km long Human chain organized by Gure Esku Dago for the Self-determination of the Basque Country.|
A 'human chain' may also refer to people holding on to each other in series to reach precarious spots. A young girl was rescued from a cliff in California via this method. It may also refer to people walking shoulder-to-shoulder in the event of searching for missing persons in water or on land.
- Reunion of Ukraine (video) (Ukrainian)
- Protest against violence in East Timor, human chain in Lisbon, 1999 (in Portuguese)
- "Thousands march for immigrant rights - May 1, 2006". CNN.com. Retrieved 2010-09-01.
- Protesters wave the flag in 'Stop Russia' campaign. The Financial Times. 2008-09-01.
- Georgians stage mass protest. news.com.au. September 02, 2008.
- Rain highlights depth of emotions in Tamil Nadu. Tamil Net. 2008-10-24.
- Mumbai citizens form human chain to protest attacks. Times of India. 2008-12-13.
- Aulakh, Raveena (2009-01-28). "'They are killing innocent people'". Toronto: thestar.com. Retrieved 2010-09-01.
- “”. "20 Km Human Chain in Tehran-June 8th". YouTube. Retrieved 2010-09-01.
- "BBC فارسی - ايران - زنجیره انسانی ۲۵ کیلومتری حامیان موسوی در تهران". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-09-01.
- IANS, Sep 30, 2009, 11.22am IST (2009-09-30). "CPM activists to form 500km human chain in Kerala to protest India, ASEAN free trade deal - India - The Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2010-09-01.
- "Pix: 'Longest human chain' formed for Telangana: Rediff.com News". News.rediff.com. 2010-02-03. Retrieved 2010-09-01.
- "25 km Human chain formed".
- "Human Chain Human Rights". Yahoo! News India.
- "1.600.000 persones, com a mínim" (in Catalan). 324.cat. 11 September 2013.
- "El recorregut de la cadena humana de l'Onze de Setembre ja és públic" (in Catalan). Vilaweb. Retrieved 1 July 2013.
- Ukraine opposition demands leader resign after EU snub, Seven News (30 November 2013)
- The “Gure Esku Dago” initiative comes to the Diaspora and invites everyone to participate in a Human Chain on June 8th. Euskalkultura.com
- "Teen Rescued After Dangling From Cliff". Reading Eagle.
|This article about politics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|