Human furniture is furniture in which a person's body is used as a tray, foot stool, chair, table, cabinet or other item. Forniphilia is the practice of creating human furniture. Examples of human furniture have appeared in modern art and in pornography.
A model used as human furniture may be nude or semi-nude to add to the erotic or aesthetic appeal. Allen Jones' sculptures Hatstand, Table and Chair, made in 1969, which show semi-naked women in the roles of furniture, is a classic example of the depiction of forniphilia as art.
The term forniphilia was coined by bondage artist Jeff Gord who specialized in the subgenre and maintained the website "House of Gord" on the subject. Forniphilia as a form of bondage usually involves the subject being tightly bound and expected to stay immobile for a prolonged period. Gord said that the maximum period he used depended on the bondage techniques involved but it did not generally exceed two hours. Gord also warned that the dangers inherent in fornophilia meant that it should only be carried out by experts. Gord used gags in some of his creations. A forniphilic gag is a type of gag that has the primary purpose of sexual objectification or erotic humiliation. In many of Jeff Gord's human furniture creations, vibrators were also used. Proper safety requires frequent checks of the submissive's well-being.
- Martin Gayford (8 October 2007). "Allen Jones: The day I turned down Stanley Kubrick". The Telegraph. London. Retrieved 30 July 2017.
- "Jeff Gord Interview". 24 October 2007. Archived from the original on 22 April 2009. Retrieved 12 May 2009.
- Ashley Hames, Sin Cities, Tonto Books, 2008, ISBN 0-9556326-0-9, pp. 184–188
- Harol, Corrinne; Simpson, Mark (2017). Literary / Liberal Entanglements: Toward a Literary History for the Twenty-First Century. University of Toronto Press. p. 70. ISBN 9781442630901.
- "The kinks of virtual men". The Times of India. 15 April 2007. Retrieved 14 October 2010.
- "Forniphilia, page 2". House of Gord. Retrieved 18 June 2019.
- "Forniphilia, page 4". House of Gord. Retrieved 18 June 2019.
- House of Gord's forniphilia FAQ page
- Decorative Girls – Human furniture pictures
- Forniphiliac furniture retailer
|This BDSM-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|