Human on the Inside
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|"Human On the Inside"|
|Single by Divinyls|
|from the album Underworld|
|Writer(s)||Mark McEntee, Shelly Peiken|
|Divinyls singles chronology|
"Human On the Inside" is a song originally recorded by Australian rock duo Divinyls, released in 1996 as the fourth single from their fifth studio album Underworld. A minor hit in Australia in 1996, the song became better known after it was covered by The Pretenders in 1999 under the title "Human". In this version, the song became a 1999 chart hit in the UK, New Zealand and the US.
"Human On the Inside" was one of many tracks from the album Underworld to be produced by Divinyls drummer Charley Drayton. The two previously released singles "I'm Jealous" and "Heart of Steel" were produced by Peter Collins and Keith Forsey respectively, and although "I'm Jealous" was a hit, "Heart of Steel" did not even chart. This created an air of doubt as to whether a third single would be successful. "Human On the Inside" did manage to chart but only peaked at #59 on the Australian ARIA singles chart. Likewise, the album Underworld proved to be unsuccessful and only just made the top fifty of the Albums Chart.
- Australian CD Single
- "Human On the Inside" - 4:12
- "I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore" - 4:30
- "Human On the Inside" (Lonely Mix) - 4:08
This song was covered by The Pretenders (as "Human") on their 1999 album, Viva el Amor. Issued as a single, the track peaked at #33 UK and #17 New Zealand. In the US, it made #30 on the Adult top 40. It appeared on the soundtrack of the 2000 film "Saving Grace". It also appeared in the Charmed season one episode "Love Hurts" as the post credits song.
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||90|
|New Zealand (Official New Zealand Music Chart)||17|
|UK Singles Chart||33|
|US Billboard Adult Pop Songs||30|
- "Official Charts > Pretenders". The Official UK Charts Company. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "charts.org.nz > The Pretenders – Human on the Inside (song)". Hung Medien. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "Billboard > Artists / Pretenders > Chart History > Adult Pop Songs". Billboard. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "The ARIA Australian Top 100 Singles Chart – Week Ending 27 Oct 1996". Imgur.com. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- Steffen Hung (1996-09-15). "Divinyls - Underworld". australian-charts.com. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "Divinyls Discography". Notsorted.tripod.com. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- Ryan, Gavin (2011). Australia's Music Charts 1988-2010. Mt. Martha, VIC, Australia: Moonlight Publishing.
- "Offizielle Deutsche Charts > The Pretenders – Human (single)" (in German). GfK Entertainment. Retrieved 2016-06-02.