Humane Society of Indianapolis
|Headquarters||7929 Michigan Road,
Indianapolis, Indiana 46268
|John Aleshire, Executive Director
David Horth, (Chair)
The Humane Society of Indianapolis (HSI) is a humane organization in Indianapolis, Indiana. Located in Marion County, Indiana, it is a private non-profit charitable organization with approximately 10,000 animals cared for each year  and was founded in 1905. In 1919, the Humane Society of Indianapolis merged with the Citizen's Humane Society.
It is an animal rescue and adoption operation, whose physical plant is situated at 7929 Michigan Road in the city of Indianapolis. The mission of the Humane Society of Indianapolis is to Provide shelter and comfort to animals in need on the path to loving lifetime homes.
Principal services offered are animal rescue, veterinary care of sick and injured animals who are in their care, adoption services, spay and neuter services for animals subject to intake, microchipping and animal training. A full-time staff is employed. In house veterinary care is available for intake animals who are injured or infirm. Foster care is available for intake animals who need rehabilitation. To supplement the full-time staff of 37, HSI has several hundred part-time volunteers.
HSI has an on site adoption center and conducts classes in animal behavior.
History and governance
HSI is governed by a 22-member board of directors and has existed for 104 years.
In March 2008, the Humane Society of Indianapolis partnered with Indianapolis Animal Care and Control to improve intake procedures and coordinate services.
In September 2008, John Aleshire began his tenure as Executive Director, replacing outgoing Executive Director Martha Boden who left the position in June 2008.
The Humane Society was a beneficiary of the Indyprov Laff-a-thon in 2009.
- "About HSI". Archived from the original on July 23, 2008. Retrieved April 4, 2009.
- David J. Bodenhamer; Robert Graham Barrows; David Gordon Vanderstel (1994). The Encyclopedia of Indianapolis. Retrieved April 4, 2009.
- American Humane Association, American Red Star Animal Relief (1919). The National Humane Review. Retrieved April 4, 2009.
- Emily Belz (August 2, 2008). "Humane Society of Indianapolis hires a new director". Indianapolis Star. Retrieved April 4, 2009.
- "Shelters Come Together To Save Animals". TheIndyChannel.com. Retrieved April 9, 2009.
- " "Mutt Strut". Retrieved May 20, 2017.