Humes Preparatory Academy Middle School
L.C. Humes High School
Humes School main entrance
|Location||659 N. Manassas St.,|
|Area||7.2 acres (2.9 ha)|
|Architectural style||Collegiate Gothic|
|MPS||Public Schools of Memphis 1902-1915 MPS|
|NRHP reference #||98000368|
|Added to NRHP||July 12, 2004|
Humes Preparatory Academy Middle School, formerly the L. C. Humes High School, is a middle school located in Memphis, Tennessee. It has also been known as North Side High School and as L.C. Humes Junior High School. It was open as a high school from the 1930s through 1967 and later became a middle school in the Memphis City Schools district. In 2004, the school was listed on the National Register of Historic Places for " its significance in education to Memphis, Tennessee and its Collegiate Gothic design.",the latter the work of noted architect George Awsumb.
The school also has a connection to Elvis Presley, who graduated from the school in 1953. The school has numerous alumni from nearby Porter-Leath from its days as an orphanage and current foster care facility.
In 2012, the school opened as a charter school run by Gestalt Community Schools. In 2017 it was announced that control of the school would be transferred to Frayser Community schools when Gestalt would exit after experience declining enrollment and funding.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. November 2, 2013.
- Judith Johnson; Nancy Jane Baker (July 15, 2001). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory/Nomination: Humes, L.C., High School / North Side High School;Humes, L.C., Junior High School". National Park Service. Retrieved April 20, 2018. With accompanying 26 photos
- Connolly, Daniel (October 7, 2016). "Changes on way for Humes Middle, Klondike Elementary". The Commercial Appeal. Retrieved April 8, 2017.
- Bauman, Caroline (January 31, 2017). "Achievement School District opts for new charter operator over closing Memphis Humes". Chalkbeat. Retrieved April 8, 2017.
- Official website
- Shelby County Schools
- Humes High School Class of 1953 (with photos of Humes in 1953)
- Humes High, Class of 1953 - Comments from Elvis' classmates
- Humes High School info
|This article about a property in Tennessee on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|