|Died||1708 (aged 54–55)|
Merton College, Oxford|
His studies of neuroanatomy|
His Goulstonian Lecture
|Notable works||The Anatomy of the Brain|
Ridley was born the son of Thomas Ridley, in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire. In 1671, aged 18, he began his studies in medicine at Merton College, Oxford, but from there didn't get a degree. Instead, Ridley graduated as a doctor of medicine from Leiden University in 1679, after which in 1688 he was incorporated as MD at Cambridge. After settling in London, he became a Candidate of the College of Physicians on 30 September 1691, and then admitted as a fellow on the same day the following year. In 1693/4, he gave the Gulstonian lectures.
Ridley died in April 1708, and was buried at St Andrew's, Holborn on 9 April.
- The Anatomy of the Brain, containing its Mechanism and Physiology; together with some new Discoveries and Corrections of Ancient and Modern Authors upon that subject [a]
- Observationes Medico-Practicæ et Physiologicæ de Asthmate et Hydrophobiâ [b]
^ 8 volumes, London, 1703
- Veith, Philip; Watanabe, Koichi; Shoja, Mohammadali M.; Blaak, Christa; Loukas, Marios; Tubbs, R. Shane (2013-01-29). "Humphrey Ridley (1653-1708)". Clinical Anatomy. 28 (1): 12–15. doi:10.1002/ca.22228. ISSN 0897-3806.
- Thakur, Jai Deep; Sonig, Ashish; Chittiboina, Prashant; Khan, Imad Saeed; Wadhwa, Rishi; Nanda, Anil. "Humphrey Ridley (1653-1708): 17th century evolution in neuroanatomy and selective cerebrovascular injections for cadaver dissection". Neurosurgical Focus. 33 (2): E3. doi:10.3171/2012.6.FOCUS12139. ISSN 1092-0684. PMID 22853834.
- Moore, Norman. "Ridley Humphrey". Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900. 48.
- "Munks Roll Details for Humphrey Ridley". munksroll.rcplondon.ac.uk. Retrieved 2018-05-30.
- Veith, Philip; Watanabe, Koichi; Shoja, Mohammadali M.; Blaak, Christa; Loukas, Marios; Tubbs, R. Shane. "Humphrey Ridley (1653-1708): forgotten neuroanatomist and neurophysiologist". Clinical Anatomy (New York, N.Y.). 28 (1): 12–15. doi:10.1002/ca.22228. ISSN 1098-2353. PMID 23362140.