Humphrey Sturt, 2nd Baron Alington
Humphrey Napier Sturt, 2nd Baron Alington, KCVO (20 August 1859 – 30 July 1919) was a British peer, the son of Henry Gerard Sturt, 1st Baron Alington of Crichel. He succeeded to the Barony on 17 February 1904.
He married Lady Feodorowna Yorke, daughter of Charles Philip Yorke, 5th Earl of Hardwicke, on 25 June 1883. In 1897, she was one of the guests at the Duchess of Devonshire’s Diamond Jubilee Costume Ball.
They had five children.
- Hon. Lois Sturt (born 25 August 1900 - 1937)
- Hon. Diana Isabel Sturt (born 3 April 1884)
- Sylvia Sturt (born and died 1886)
- Captain Hon. Gerard Philip Montagu Napier Sturt (1893–1918) (died of wounds)
- Napier George Henry Sturt, 3rd Baron Alington of Crichel (1896–1940) (died of illness serving with the RAF)
A short biographical sketch of Humphrey's daughter Lois entitled Lois Sturt : Wild Child was published in 2014 by William Cross, FSA Scot, who has also written several books on Lois' husband, Evan Frederic Morgan, the last Viscount Tredegar. Cross also includes several aneccdotes on Naps Alington's Lois's brother, the 3rd Baron Alington.
- General and heraldic dictionary of the peerage and baronetage of the British empire. Burke's Peerage Limited. 1914.
- Walker, Dave. "Costume Ball 4: Ladies only". Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Information taken from:
- Aspects of Evan : The Last Viscount Tredegar by Monty Dart and William Cross. ISBN 9781905914159 ( publication due 10 December 2012)
- A Beautiful Nuisance : The Life and Death of the Hon. Gwyneth Ericka Morgan by Monty Dart and William Cross. ISBN 9781905914104
- Not Behind Lace Curtains : The Hidden World of Evan, Viscount Tredegar by William Cross. ISBN 978-1-905914-21-0 (2013)
- Evan Frederic Morgan: Viscount Tredegar The Final Affairs: Financial and Carnal by William Cross. ISBN 978-1-905914-24-1 (2014)
- Lois Sturt, Wild Child. A Glance at Hon. Lois Ina Sturt, Viscountess Tredegar. ISBN 9781905914319. (2014)
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
George Hawkesworth Bond
|Member of Parliament for East Dorset
Charles Henry Lyell
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|This biography of a baron in the peerage of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (since 1801), for an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|