The Humppila church in summer 2006
Location of Humppila in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Esko Tonteri|
|• Total||147.96 km2 (57.13 sq mi)|
|• Land||147.94 km2 (57.12 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.65 km2 (0.25 sq mi)|
|Area rank||277th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||251st largest in Finland|
|• Density||16.16/km2 (41.9/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.9% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||17.5%|
|• 15 to 64||62%|
|• 65 or older||20.5%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||20.5%|
It is located in the province of Southern Finland and is part of the Tavastia Proper region. The municipality has a population of 2,390 (31 March 2016) and covers an area of 147.96 square kilometres (57.13 sq mi) of which 0.65 km2 (0.25 sq mi) is water. The population density is 16.16 inhabitants per square kilometre (41.9/sq mi).
The municipality owes the essence of its development to the arrival of the Turku–Toijala railway in 1876. Today, Humppila remains a stop for trains using this line and the once closed railway station has been reopened for passengers.
From 1898 until 1974, Humppila was the starting point of the narrow gauge Jokioinen Railway, a 22-kilometre (14 mi) line to the town of Forssa. Today the remaining 15 kilometres (9 mi) of this line make the Jokioinen Museum Railway.
Vitikka, Huhtaa, Humppila, Koivisto, Murto, Taipale, Venäjä, and Myllynkulma
Major employers in Humppila are the Humppila municipality, Kenkämaailma (shoe retail), Humppilan Osuuspankki (banking), Iittala Group Humppila Glassworks, and Maviteknik Oy (engineering). Employment structure by trade at the end of 2004 was following: Agriculture and forestry economics 16.3%, industry 22.0%, services 58.5%, unknown 3.2%.
- Aleksi Kaatrasalo, volleyball player
- Eino Kankaanpää, Member of the Parliament of Finland
- Daniel Ekwall, Vicar and poet
- Hannu Saha, composer
- Into Salmio, Jäger colonel
- Jaakko Kivi, politician and trade unionist
- Kalevi Virkkala, geologist
- Lauri Sariola, farmer, Member of Parliament and journalist
- Risto Jalo, ice hockey player
- Sigrid Oulasmaa, Member of Parliament
- Tero Suominen, footballer
- Waldemar Bergroth, politician
- "Population density by area 1.1.2016". Statistics Finland. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, maaliskuu.2016" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 31 March 2016. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "population_count" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Humppila at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Humppila – Official website