Central South University
Central South University seal
|Established||29 April 2000|
|Location||Changsha, Hunan, People's Republic of China
|Campus||Urban, 381 ha|
Central South University (CSU) is a national university of China located in Changsha, Hunan province, central south of People's Republic of China. CSU was established in April 2000 on the basis of the amalgamation of the three former individual universities.
Situated in the famous historical and cultural city of Changsha, Central South University (CSU) is a comprehensive and national key university under the direct administration of the Ministry of Education of China. The University is among the first group admitted into both Project 211, a project of building national key universities and colleges for the 21st century, and Project 985, a joint constructive project of building world-class universities co-sponsored by the Chinese central government and local governments. Gao Wenbing is the Party Secretary of the CSU Committee and Zhang Yaoxue, member of the Chinese Academy of Engineering, is CSU President.
Approved by the State Council, CSU was established on April 29, 2000 by merging three separate universities: Hunan Medical University (HMU), Changsha Railway University (CRU), and Central South University of Technology (CSUT). CSU covers an area of 5,117 mu (341 hectares).
HMU was formerly under the administration of the Ministry of Health.Its history dates back to 1914 when Xiangya Medical College was founded through the joint efforts of Hunan Yuqun Society and the Yale-China Association. CRU, which was one of the universities under the administration of the Ministry of Railways, initially restructured in 1953 as Central South College of Civil Engineering and Architecture, was established in 1960 based on some of its predecessor’s departments, teaching and research divisions. CSUT, which was one of universities under the administration of the Ministry of Education, was originally named Central South Institute of Mining and Metallurgy in 1952 when a nationwide restructuring of institutes of higher education began. It was incorporated based on the disciplines of mining and metallurgy from six universities, which including Wuhan University, Sun Yat-sen University, Guangxi University, Hunan University, Nanchang University and Beijing College of Technology.
Central South University (CSU), a national key university under the direct administration of the Ministry of Education of China, has a highly regarded reputation as being a member of both Project 211 and Project 985, two national key construction projects to support the development of high –quality universities, a vice-minister-level university recognized in 2003 and one of the initiative leading universities selected in 2013 for China’s Synergy Innovation Project 2011. Covering an area of 392.4 hectares (including area of 2.76 million square meters) with campuses located across Xiangjiang River at the foot of the majestic Yuelu Mountain, CSU is an ideal university for study and research with restful environment and picturesque view.
CSU offers 83 bachelor's degrees, 282 master's degrees and 142 doctorate degrees from these 31 colleges and institutes and a graduate school:
- Literature and Journalism
- Foreign Languages
- Architecture and Art
- Business School
- Law School
- Public Administration
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Physics and Electronics
- Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
- Mechanical and Electrical Engineering
- Energy Science and Engineering
- Material Science and Engineering
- Powder Metallurgy Research Institute
- Traffic and Transportation Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Metallurgy and Environment
- Geoscience and Environmental Engineering
- Info-physics and Geomatics Engineering
- Resources and Safety Engineering
- Minerals Processing and Bioengineering
- Information Science and Engineering
- Xiang-ya School of Medicine
- Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Public Health
- Basic Medical Sciences
- School of Life Sciences
- Research Department of Physical Education
- School of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Aier School of Ophthalmology
The three national key laboratories:
- State Key Laboratory for Powder Metallurgy of China
- State Key Laboratory of Medical Genetics of China
- State Key Laboratory of High Performance Complex Manufacturing of China
The six campus：
- Main campus，lays dormitory and teaching building for junior undergraduates and postgraduates of most engineering schools of which office building locate there too.There is also two national key laboratories
- South campus，lays dormitory for all freshman,and postgraduates of all humanities schools of which office building locates there too
- New campus,teaching building for all freshman and all humanities,social,scientific postgraduates，are locate here.The library and office building of scientific and social schools also locates here
- Old Hsiangya，lays dormitory and teaching building for medical postgraduates，with Xiangya Hospital and State Key Laboratory of Medical Genetics of China
- Railway campus，lays dormitory and teaching building for junior undergraduates and postgraduates of civil engineering，traffic engineering，software engineering，and architecture.their school office building also locates here，with a library of civil and transportation
- New Hsiangya，lays dormitory and teaching building for medical undergraduates，with Third Xiangya Hospital and medical library
Faculties and students
More than 33,000 full-time undergraduates and 12,000 graduate students attend Central South University. Of the total number attending CSU, approximately 1,000 are foreign students from around the world. The faculty-student ratio is about 1:8.
Computer scientist Zhang Yaoxue, the president of CSU, was awarded the first-class prize of China’s elite National Natural Science Award on 9 January for innovations in a type of network computing that enables users to access operating systems or software residing on a different computer than on the user’s device.
- Wang Chuanfu, Founder and CEO of BYD
- Liang Wengen, Founder and Chairman of Sany Group
- Zhiwu Chen, Professor of Finance at Yale School of Management and an influential public intellectual in China
CSU covers an area of 3,810,000 square meters and has the total floor space of 2,330,000 square meters. The library of CSU have a collection of more than 4,390,000 volumes. library, academic centers, teaching and research buildings, stadiums, standard student dormitories, activity centers, swimming pool, hospital, bank, post office, dining halls are located in the campus.
- "田红旗任中南大学校长". Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China (in Chinese). 1 June 2017. Retrieved 1 June 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Central South University.|