Hunan Normal University
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2006) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||Benevolence, Love, Excellence, Diligence|
|President||Liu Qijun (刘起军)|
|1,900 (November 2019)|
|Students||40,000 (November 2019)|
|Postgraduates||10,000 (November 2019)|
Hunan Normal University (simplified Chinese: 湖南师范大学; traditional Chinese: 湖南師範大學; pinyin: Húnán Shīfàn Dàxué), founded in 1938, is a higher education institution in Changsha, Hunan Province. The university is a national 211 Project university, one of the country's 100 key universities in the 21st century that enjoy priority in obtaining national funds. It is also a Chinese Ministry of Education Double First Class Discipline University, a major government initiative to comprehensively develop a group of elite universities into "world-class universities" by 2050. It is particularly reputable for its concentration on teachers education and training, foreign language studies, Chinese literature and history.
National Normal College
Hunan Normal University was built on the first independent teachers' college in China, named "National Normal College," established in 1938. Its historic origin can be traced back to Yuelu Academy in Northern Song Dynasty, one of the four most prestigious academies over the last 1000 years in China. It was integrated into Hunan University in 1949.
Structure and departments
Consisting of five campuses, Hunan Normal University covers a total area of 1.78 km², with one million square meters of floor space. Most of the campuses are located near the Yuelu Mountain.
The university is divided into 23 colleges, 3 teaching departments, 51 research institutions. The university offers 74 undergraduate programs, 147 master programs, and 55 Ph.D. programs. There are 10 postdoctoral scientific research stations, 13 State Training and Research Bases or Centers and 7 key laboratories, jointly constructed by the Ministry of Education and Hunan Province, on the campus.
Since its founding, the university has educated nearly 300,000 students, including about 4,000 international students and students from Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan. Currently, over 24,000 undergraduates, 8,000 graduates and 300 international students are studying on campus.
There are 1091 professors and associate professors at the university; among them are one academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and one academician of the Chinese Academy of Engineering. The university has invited about 600 scholars and experts to give lectures or conduct scientific research on campus from more than 20 countries since 2,000, and has established relations with over 80 foreign institutions of higher learning for academic exchanges.
The library of the university has a collection of 3.4 million volumes, including 200,000 volumes of traditional thread binding books, and subscribes 4,700 kinds of Chinese and foreign periodicals. There are 12 academic periodicals published and distributed by the university. The university has its own publishing house called Hunan Normal University Press.
Hunan Normal University has partnered with 125 higher education institutions across around 33 countries or regions, including the United States, France, Italy, Russia, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, the United Kingdom and Australia. It provides exchange opportunities for students every year to study overseas.
- Russian Academy of Sciences
- Moscow State Pedagogical University
- Kazan Federal University
- Ulyanovsk State University
- Delaware State University
- Idaho State University
- Indiana University – Purdue University Indianapolis
- Marshall University
- Middle Tennessee State University
- Northwestern Polytechnic University
- San Jose State University
- Southeast Missouri State University
- Saint Louis Community College
- The College of New Jersey
- Frostburg State University
- Minnesota State University – Moorhead
- North Dakota State University
- University of Bridgeport
- Murray State University
- Bowling Green State University
- University of Murcia (Spain)
- ICHEC Brussels Management School (Belgium)
- University of Greenwich (United Kingdom)
- Université d'Orléans (France)
- Oulu University of Applied Sciences (Finland)
- Laval University (Canada)
- National University of Mongolia (Mongolia)
- Education University of Hong Kong (HK, China)
- National Taiwan Normal University (Taiwan, China)
- National Kaohsiung Normal University (Taiwan, China)
- National Pingtung University of Education (Taiwan, China)
- Hwa Hsia University of Technology (Taiwan, China)
- 学校简介. Hunan Normal University (in Chinese). 1 November 2019. Retrieved 19 February 2020.
- 教育部 财政部 国家发展改革委 关于公布世界一流大学和一流学科建设高校及建设 学科名单的通知 [Notice from the Ministry of Education and other national governmental departments announcing the list of double first class universities and disciplines]. Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China. 2017-09-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hunan Normal University.|