|Country||People's Republic of China|
|Broadcast area||Mainland China, including Macau, Hong Kong, ROC-controlled Taiwan Area and overseas as (Hunan STV World) in Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Kenya, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Americas, Papua New Guinea, Australia and Europe|
|Network||Hunan Broadcasting System (HBS)|
|Picture format||SDTV 576i/480p (1997.1.1–2016.8.31)|
HDTV 1080i (2009.9.28–present)
|Owner||Hunan Broadcasting System|
|Launched||29 September 1970|
Official video website
Hunan Television or Hunan TV (simplified Chinese: 湖南卫视; traditional Chinese: 湖南衞視; pinyin: Húnán Wèishì) is a provincial satellite TV station officially launched on 29 September 1970 and is currently China's second-most-watched channel, second only to CCTV-1, owned by China Central Television, although Hunan STV occasionally overtook CCTV-1 in ratings. Hunan TV's signal covers most of China, including Macau, Hong Kong, Taiwan and overseas as (Hunan STV World) in Japan, South Korea, Southeast Asia, Americas, Tajikistan, Papua New Guinea, New Zealand, Fiji, Australia, South Africa, Canada, United States, India, Nepal, Africa, Europe and other countries and regions landing. The channel broadcasts in high-definition since September 28, 2009. The appearance of its logo has resulted in the nickname of "Mango TV".
- Happy Camp
- Super Girl
- Super Boy
- Where Are We Going, Dad?
- I Am a Singer
- Day Day Up
- Come Sing with Me
- 72 Floors of Mystery
- Chinese Restaurant
- Takes a Real Man
- Back to Field
HSTV had been the number one most viewed satellite television channel in the provinces for 4 years in a row. In 2009, HSTV is the second most viewed satellite television in China. It had also been nominated in the "top 500 China brand" for the second time in a row.
In 2012, HSTV viewing rate had dropped to the sixth of satellite television channel in China because of the rise of Jiangsu Television and Zhejiang Television. Later HSTV had placed a popular television program "Jīnyīng dú bō jùchǎngat金鹰独播剧场" 19:30, and had launched multiple entertainment program such as "Bǎi biàn dà kā xiù百变大咖秀", "I am a singer", then HSTV's viewing rate returned to number 1.
Up to the year 2013, HSTV covers over 1 billion of the Chinese population, 358 million of them had claimed to like HSTV's programs. There are 210 million people watch HSTV every day. HSTV's online platform has 730 million views. Also, HSTV is the most mentioned TV channel in China's social media platform.
History of development
On Dec 15, 2006, Hunan TV cooperated with BBC to broadcast a new program, “Just the Two of Us”. It is the first entertainment collaboration between Chinese television and the BBC on a global scale.
In September 2005, HSTV bought Korean drama Dae Jang Geum airing at prime time. State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television had policies regarding oversea television programs, no oversea television program can broadcast during 19:00-22:00. HSTV was forced to move Dae Jang Geum to after 22:00. Prime time was replaced by entertainment program. The first night of broadcasting, viewing rate was double than its average.
In 2015, because of State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television's policies, HSTV had made prime time television airing from broadcasting 3 episodes per night to 2, and changed the start of airing time from 19:30 to 20:00. It is the only channel that airs drama at 22:00 other than CCTV.
- "湖南卫视年终晒业绩 09全年收视全国第二" China News Service (CNS). 28 January 2010. Retrieved 2012-10-23
- "2018年湖南卫视综艺节目有哪些_最新好看的综艺编排". 九号下载咨询. Retrieved 3 May 2019.
- "责任报告_湖南卫视". zixun.hunantv.com. Retrieved 2017-04-20.
- "2012卫视收视率年中总结："芒果台"不再是"一哥"--传媒--人民网". media.people.com.cn. 1994. Retrieved 2017-04-20.
- "湖南卫视覆盖人口已达10亿 观众忠诚度走高护航招商会_湖南卫视". zixun.hunantv.com. Retrieved 2017-04-20.
- "湖南卫视本周四落地宁波 新年强档节目陆续登场_娱乐_腾讯网". ent.qq.com (in Chinese (China)). Retrieved 2017-04-20.
- De Burgh, Hugo; Rong, Zeng; Siming, Chen (2012-01-01). "Chinese television 'internationalization' and the search for creativity". Creative Industries Journal. 4 (2): 137–154. doi:10.1386/cij.4.2.137_1. ISSN 1751-0694. S2CID 143778962.
- "湖南卫视国际频道21日正式开播_湖南卫视". zixun.hunantv.com. Retrieved 2017-04-20.
- 只卖地道湖南农产品 《出手吧，兄弟！》2小时卖货超亿元, Huasheng Online (in Chinese), 8 June 2020
- "《大长今》湖南卫视首播 同时段收视排名第一_影音娱乐_新浪网". ent.sina.com.cn. Retrieved 2017-04-20.
- "湖南卫视2月启动创新编排 金鹰剧场周间八点见_湖南卫视". zixun.hunantv.com. Retrieved 2017-04-20.