Type of site
|Created by||Caterina Fake, Chris Dixon|
|Launched||June 15, 2009|
|87,728 (April 2014[update])|
|Current status||Not active|
Hunch was a website designed as a collective intelligence decision-making system ("decision engine") that used decision trees to make decisions based on users' interest. Hunch was launched publicly in June 2009. Hunch was headquartered in New York City. The site was apparently closed down in March 2014.
Hunch was co-founded by Flickr co-founder Caterina Fake and Chris Dixon with an 11-person team of MIT graduates. Hunch started a private preview period in December 2008, but opened the preview to the public in March 2009 as an invitation-only private beta. Users had to request an invitation at Hunch.com, which took a few days to receive. In December 2009, Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales joined Hunch.com as Board Member and advisor.
By February 2010, the website's traffic had grown to 1.2 million unique visitors. In January 2011 Hunch was redesigned from decision tree system and topic specific questions to tagging and product referral.
- Gays in the military: opinions about “Don't Ask Don't Tell”
- “Bitters” vs “Lovers”: What our Valentine’s Day outlook says about us
- Pooches and people: what our best pals reveal about ourselves
- Console Tribes: What Your Video Game System Says About You
- Hunch users weigh in on global warming
- And now for something lighter: Cookie Monster blows away #2 Oscar as a Hunch favorite
- New York Times Bestsellers: A Hunch Topic Snapshot
- Mac vs PC People: Personality Traits & Aesthetic/Media Choices
- How Food Preferences Vary by Political Ideology
- Profile of a Hunch iPhone owner
- Does TV Make us Dumber-er?
- "Hunch.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "Hunch: A Psycho-Social Divinatory Machine for the Masses". Information Today. Retrieved 1 Dec 2014.
- Rao, Leena. "Hunch Takes A Deep Data Dive On The Tastes And Interests Of eBay Users". TechCrunch. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- "Hunch launches today". VatorNews. June 15, 2009. Retrieved 2011-07-14.
- "About Hunch.com". Retrieved 2008-04-12.
- Ben Parr (March 28, 2009). "Hunch: Flickr Founder to Turn Indecision into Profits". Mashable. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- "The Hunch Team". Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- Official Forum Clarification on Hunch's History: "wikipedia article about hunch could use some improvement!". Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- Wales, Jimmy (December 7, 2009). "What’s new for me: Hunch". blog.jimmywales.com. Retrieved December 7, 2009.
- "Hunch". Mashable. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- "Hunch Blog | Goodbye topic-specific questions, hello tags". Blog.hunch.com. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "eBay Buys Hunch To Improve Long-Tail Shopping Recommendations". TechCrunch. November 21, 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-23.
- "List of Hunch Reports". Retrieved 2010-03-01.