|Type of site||Collaboration|
|Launched||June 15, 2009|
|Alexa rank||87,728 (April 2014[update])|
Hunch is a website designed as a collective intelligence decision-making system that uses decision trees to make decisions based on users' interest. Hunch was launched publicly on June 15, 2009, and since then has been fully open and available to the public. That same year, Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales announced that he was joining Hunch.com as Board Member and advisor.
Hunch is headquartered in New York City.
Hunch was co-founded by Flickr co-founder Caterina Fake and Chris Dixon with an 11-person team of MIT graduates. Hunch started a private preview period in December 2008, but opened the preview to the public in March 2009 as an invitation-only private beta. Users had to request an invitation at Hunch.com, which took a few days to receive. On November 21, 2011 it has been announced that Hunch has been officially acquired by ebay Inc. for a reported 80 Million dollars.
By February 2010, the website's traffic had grown to 1.2 million unique visitors.
On 31 January 2011 Hunch was redesigned from decision tree system and topic specific questions to tagging and product referral.
Hunch often publishes reports revealing interesting, odd and sometimes amusing correlations between users who have 'taught' Hunch information about themselves. The reports currently published are:
- Gays in the military: opinions about “Don't Ask Don't Tell”
- “Bitters” vs “Lovers”: What our Valentine’s Day outlook says about us
- Pooches and people: what our best pals reveal about ourselves
- Console Tribes: What Your Video Game System Says About You
- Hunch users weigh in on global warming
- And now for something lighter: Cookie Monster blows away #2 Oscar as a Hunch favorite
- New York Times Bestsellers: A Hunch Topic Snapshot
- Mac vs PC People: Personality Traits & Aesthetic/Media Choices
- How Food Preferences Vary by Political Ideology
- Profile of a Hunch iPhone owner
- Does TV Make us Dumber-er?
- "Hunch.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Rao, Leena. "Hunch Takes A Deep Data Dive On The Tastes And Interests Of eBay Users". TechCrunch. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- "Hunch launches today". VatorNews. June 15, 2009. Retrieved 2011-07-14.
- Wales, Jimmy (December 7, 2009). "What’s new for me: Hunch". blog.jimmywales.com. Retrieved December 7, 2009.
- "About Hunch.com". Retrieved 2008-04-12.
- Ben Parr (March 28, 2009). "Hunch: Flickr Founder to Turn Indecision into Profits". Mashable. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- "The Hunch Team". Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- Official Forum Clarification on Hunch's History: "wikipedia article about hunch could use some improvement!". Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- "eBay Buys Hunch To Improve Long-Tail Shopping Recommendations". TechCrunch. November 21, 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-23.
- "Hunch". Mashable. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- "Hunch Blog | Goodbye topic-specific questions, hello tags". Blog.hunch.com. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "List of Hunch Reports". Retrieved 2010-03-01.