Huncoat railway station
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||East Lancashire Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway|
|Post-grouping||London Midland and Scottish Railway|
|18 September 1848||Opened |
|1902||Relocated 745 m south|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Huncoat from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
Huncoat railway station is a railway station which serves the village of Huncoat, between Accrington and Burnley in Lancashire, England. The station is 8 miles (13 km) east of Blackburn railway station on the East Lancashire Line operated by Northern.
The village's first station was opened in September 1848 by the East Lancashire Railway slightly to the east, but it was relocated to its present site by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway in 1902. A nearby colliery and power station were both served by the station and railway for many years, but the pit closed in 1968 and the power plant in 1984. The site is now a nature trail.
The distinctive tall signal box, that once supervised the colliery sidings, avoided closure when the line was re-signalled in 1973, being retained to supervised the level crossing at the west end of the station. It was finally closed in November 2014, and subsequently demolished when the crossing was automated.
The station is unstaffed, with ticket vending facilities, There are shelters on each platform and step-free access to each one; along with passenger information screens and a long line PA system to provide running details to passengers.
Monday to Saturday, there is an hourly service from Huncoat to Burnley and Colne (eastbound) and Preston via Accrington and Blackburn (westbound). On Sundays, there is an hourly service in each direction, with through running to and from Preston .
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 125. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Huncoat StationCommunity Rail Lancashire; Retrieved 20 November 2016
- "Huncoat Signal Box - A photo survey 23 March 2014" Hall Royd Junction website; Retrieved 20 November 2016
- Huncoat station facilities National Rail Enquiries; Retrieved 25 November 2016
- Table 97 National Rail timetable, May 2018
- East Lancs stations to become 'request only' from today Lancashire Evening Telegraph
- "All trains to stop at Huncoat again" Morrison, Michael; Lancashire Evening Telegraph article 10 July 2013; Retrieved 20 November 2016
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Huncoat railway station.|
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
East Lancashire Line