Hungarian Catholic Archeparchy of Hajdúdorog
Archdiocese of Hajdúdorog
Cathedral of the diocese
|Ecclesiastical province||Hungarian Greek Catholic Church|
|Area||73,341 km2 (28,317 sq mi)|
|(as of 2011)|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Presentation of Mary in Hajdúdorog|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Péter Fülöp Kocsis|
|Emeritus Bishops||Szilárd Keresztes|
Territory of the Archeparchy of Hajdudorog, excluding the Eparchy of Miskolc and Nyiregyhaza
Its Metropolitan archbishop is the head of the Hungarian Greek Catholic Church. The Metropolitanate is a sui iuris Eastern particular Church in full union with the Catholic Church, which uses the Byzantine Rite in Hungarian language, covering the entire area of Hungary.
On 8 June 1912, it was established as Eparchy (Eastern Catholic Diocese) of Hajdúdorog, on territory formerly belonging to the Metropolitanate sui juris of Romanian Greek Catholic Major Archeparchy of Făgăraș and Alba Iulia, Slovak Catholic Metropolitan Archeparchy of Prešov, Latin Metropolitan Archdiocese of Esztergom (Hungary), Eparchies (dioceses) of Gherla, Armenopoli and Szamos-Ujvár, Mukachevo and Oradea Mare.
On 9 April 1934, the eparchy lost diocesan territory to Metropolitanate sui juris of Făgăraş şi Alba Iulia and Eparchies of Maramureş and Oradea Mare (in Romania) and on 5 March lost more territory to the pre-existing, also Hungarian (Greek) Catholic Apostolic Exarchate of Miskolc.
On 20 March 2015, it was elevated to Archeparchy (Archdiocese) and Metropolitanate sui juris, with two simultaneously created suffragan Eparchies comprised in its new province:
- the Hungarian Catholic Eparchy of Nyíregyháza, split from Hajdúdorog's former territory
- the Hungarian Catholic Eparchy of Miskolc, promoting the former Apostolic Exarchate of Miskolc to diocesan rank.
- Cathedral : Istenszülő templomba vezetése Görög katolikus székesegyház, in Hajdúdorog
- Minor Basilica : Görög Katolikus Lelkészi Hivatal Kegytemplom, in Máriapócs, Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg
- Eparchs (Bishops) of Hajdúdorog (Byzantine Rite)
- Antal Papp (1912 – 1913), Apostolic Administrator
- István Miklósy (23 June 1913 – 30 October 1937)
- Miklós Dudás, O.S.B.M. (25 March 1939 – 15 July 1972)
- Imre Timkó (7 January 1975 – 30 March 1988)
- Szilárd Keresztes (30 June 1988 – 10 November 2007; previously Auxiliary Bishop and Titular Bishop of Chunavia 7 January 1975 – 30 June 1988)
- the above Szilárd Keresztes as Apostolic Administrator 10 November 2007 – 5 February 2008)
- Bishop Péter Fülöp Kocsis (5 February 2008 – 20 March 2015 - see below)
- Archeparchs (Archbishops) of Hajdúdorog (Byzantine Rite)
- Archbishop Péter Fülöp Kocsis (see above - 20 March 2015 – present)
|This Hungary-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Roman Catholic diocese in Europe is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|