Hungarian Ground Forces
|Hungarian Ground Forces|
|Magyar Szárazföldi Haderő|
|Allegiance||Hungarian Defence Forces|
|Part of||Hungarian Defence Forces|
|Colors||Red, White and Green|
|Brigadier General Dr Gábor Böröndi|
The Hungarian Ground Forces are one of the branches of the Hungarian Defence Forces. It is the army which handles Ground activities and troops including artillery, tanks, APC's, IFV's and ground support. Hungary's Ground forces currently pulled out of Iraq and are currently in service in Afghanistan and KFOR.
Hungary was supported by the Soviet Union during the Cold War but since the Soviet Union's fall, Hungary cut tanks, closed garrisons, and minimized troop strength since 1991. The Hungarian Army now deals with national security, peacekeeping and international conflicts. Hungary joined NATO in 1999.
The two main combat units of the Hungarian Ground Forces are:
- 5th Infantry Brigade "István Bocskai", in Debrecen
- Headquarters Company, in Debrecen
- 3rd Infantry Battalion "Miklós Bercsényi", in Hódmezővásárhely, with BTR-80 APCs
- 39th Infantry Battalion in Debrecen, with BTR-80 APCs
- 62nd Infantry Battalion in Hódmezővásárhely, with BTR-80 APCs
- Operations Support Engineer Battalion, in Debrecen
- Logistic Battalion, in Debrecen
- Combat Engineer Company, in Debrecen
- Signal Company, in Debrecen
- 25th Infantry Brigade "György Klapka", in Tata
- Headquarters Company, in Tata
- 1st Infantry Battalion, in Tata, with BTR-80 APCs
- 2nd Infantry Battalion, in Tata, with BTR-80 APCs
- 11th Tank Battalion, in Tata, with T-72M1 tanks
- 36th Anti-tank Missile Battalion, in Tata, with 9K115-2 Metis-M anti-tank missiles
- 101st Artillery Battalion, in Tata, with D-20 152mm towed howitzers
- 57th Garrison Support Battalion
- Logistic Battalion, in Tata
- RS4/4 parachute
- RS4/4 LA parachute
- MANTA parachute
- 93M frag grenade
- 96M frag grenade
- Black Ka'bar bayonet
- AN/PVS-14 Gen3 Monocular Night Vision
- HALEM-2 laser rangefinder
- 15/80 binocular
- PSZNR-5 recce locator
- FMG 68 decontamination vehicle
- SSM-1 chemical marker
- IH-95 radiation level and contamination meter
- CAM radiation level and contamination meter
- VFK chemical recce pack
- DS-10 regiment decontamination pack
- TMF-2 automatic weather station
- 93M protecting suit
- 96M protecting suit
- DECOCOM 3000 decontamination container
- regiment decontamination trailer
- 60 mm mortar
|Leopard 2||Germany||Main battle tank||Leopard 2A7+
|44 Leopard 2A7+ and 12 Leopard 2A4 tanks on order.|
|T-72|| Soviet Union
|Main battle tank||T-72M1||34||130 in storage. Will be replaced by the Leopard 2A7+ in the 2020s.|
|Armoured personnel carriers|
|BTR-80|| Soviet Union
|amphibious armoured personnel carrier||BTR-80A
|555 units received from Russia between 1996-1999. Modernized Hungarian-upgraded BTR-80s for technical rescue, medical rescue and NBC missions.|
|BRDM-2||Soviet Union||Combat reconnaissance vehicle||BRDM-2
|Equipped with 9M111 and 9M113 Konkurs anit-tank missiles  , others (VSBRDM-2M) are modified and upgraded for NBC missions.  |
|M-ATV||United States||MRAP||20+||Used by the Hungarian special forces in Afghanistan. |
|Cougar (vehicle)||United States||MRAP||13||Used by the Hungarian special forces in Afghanistan.  |
|Maxxpro||United States||MRAP||~42||Bought second-hand.  |
|M1151 HMMWV||United States||Utility vehicle||80+||Most of them used by the Hungarian special forces. |
|Polaris RZR||United States||Light utility vehicle||12||Used by the Hungarian special forces. |
|Military engineering vehicles|
|PTS (amphibious vehicle)||Soviet Union||Amphibious vehicle||PTS-2||50+||Some in reserve. Very large tracked amphibious vehicle used for crossing water bodies and building bridges across rivers|
|WISENT 2||Germany||Armoured Support Vehicle||0||5 on order.|
|Leguan||Germany||Armoured vehicle-launched bridge||0||3 on order. The new Leguans are going to replace the BLG-60M armoured bridgelayers which will be transferred to the 37th Engineer Regiment. |
|MT-55||East Germany||Armoured vehicle-launched bridge||BLG-60M||2|||
|VT-55||Soviet Union||Armoured recovery vehicle||VT-55||2|
|VT-72B||Czechoslovakia||Armoured recovery vehicle||2|||
|BAT-2||Soviet Union||Armoured tracklayer||BAT-2||2|||
Artillery, Air Defence, ATGM
|Self-propelled artillery and howitzers|
|PzH 2000||Germany||Self-propelled artillery||0||24 on order.|
|D-20||Soviet Union||Howitzer||12||283 in reserve. |
|2K12 Kub|| Soviet Union
|Self-propelled SAM system||16||Modernized in collaboration with Poland. |
|Mistral (missile)||France||Surface-to-air missile||360||Mistral 3 + Safran Matis |
|Carl Gustaf M4||Sweden||Recoilless rifle||Unknown||Deliveries will take place between 2019-2024. |
|9К115-2 Metis-M||Russia||Anti-tank missile||Unknown||Unknown number delivered by Russia between 1996-1997.|
|9M113 Konkurs||Soviet Union||Anti-tank missile||Unknown|||
|9K111 Fagot||Soviet Union||Anti-tank missile||Unknown|||
|RPG-7||Soviet Union||Rocket-propelled grenade||Unknown|
|The new H-14 series, can be armoured within 48 hours. The armour defends soldiers from bullets, splinters and IEDs
Production of Rába H-14, H-18, and H-25 trucks commenced in 2004, these initially locally designed chassis fitted with MAN engines, associated components including cooling system and the MAN modular military cab. Current production is CKD using some locally sourced components such as axles. About 300 examples were built using components supplied between 2004-2006, with a further 150 assembled from CKD kits delivered from 2007.
|100 Currus-Volvo Aries on order to replace Ikarus 250, 256, 280|
|Mercedes-Benz G-Class||Germany||Utility vehicle||G-270
|RMMV HX range of tactical trucks||Germany||Truck||HX77||63||Will also receive up to 150 RMMV HX77 8x8 trucks, with 63 delivered since 2007.|
|Toyota Hilux||Japan||Pickup||16||Used by Military Police|
|Neštin-class||Yugoslavia||minesweeper||3||6 minesweepers were received from Yugoslavia in 1981. As of 2019, 3 of them are in active service and the other 3 were sold.|
|AN 2||Hungary||minesweeper||3||40 minesweepers were built between 1953 and 1956. As of 2019, 3 of them are in active service, another 3 are in reserve and the rest were sold. 2 of the reserve are under overhaul by Milipol Zrt. and going to be in active service. |
- Moss, Matthew (10 April 2018). "Hungary to Produce CZ Weapons Under License".
- Wilk, Remigiusz (20 December 2018). "Hungarian Defence Forces receive CZ BREN 2 rifles". IHS Jane's.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on July 21, 2011. Retrieved July 21, 2011. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help)CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Braatz, Kurt (19 December 2018). "Krauss-Maffei Wegmann unterstützt ungarische Heeres-Modernisierung" (PDF). Krauss-Maffei Wegmann (in German). Munich. Archived (PDF) from the original on 20 December 2018. Retrieved 22 December 2018. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Dunai, Peter (20 December 2018). "Update: Hungary orders Leopard 2 MBTs and PzH 2000 SPHs". IHS Jane's 360. Budapest. Archived from the original on 21 December 2018. Retrieved 22 December 2018. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Hungarian armed forces upgrade ground troop equipment". Archived from the original on 13 July 2019. Retrieved 14 July 2019.
- IISS 2019, p. 117.
- "Chemical Protection Unit Installed at Csörlőház". 3 Jun 2009.
- "SIPRI Trade Register".
- "Artillerymen are Celebrated on 4 December". 4 Dec 2010.
- "Flame Flowers Over the Minefield". 23 May 2014.
- "Rain, Snow and ATGM". 14 Nov 2007.
- "Upgrades at the Pride of the Defence Forces". 14 Nov 2007.
- "Operational Advisor Group Received New Combat Vehicles". 24 Apr 2014.
- "Cougars Entered into Service in Afghanistan". 19 Mar 2010.
- "Cougar Combat Vehicles for the Safety of Hungarian Soldiers". 8 Apr 2009.
- "Maximal Protection". 10 Feb 2011.
- "New MRAPs in Front Line". 10 Jan 2011.
- Valid HTML and CSS: Fülöp Gergely (dreamlite), ACME engine: Aurum / (2008-08-18). "Honvédelmi Minisztérium". Hm.gov.hu. Archived from the original on 2010-10-17. Retrieved 2010-07-25. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Hungarian Defence Forces Under Dynamic Development". 29 Mar 2018.
- "Polaris MRZR 4: No Obstacles!". 20 Apr 2018.
- "Generation Change". 20 Feb 2019.
- "Bridgelayers Around the World".
- "Hungarian T-72s".
- "Caterpillar Monsters and Special Abilities". 3 Apr 2008.
- Dunai, Peter (20 December 2018). "Hungary Orders Leopard 2 MBTs and PzH 2000 SPHs". IHS Jane's.
- "'Hibernated Abilities' Have Been Resurrected". 30 Jan 2012.
- "2K12 KUB in Service of 12th Air-defense Missile Regiment". 27 Nov 2012.
- "MISTRAL in Service of 12th Air-defense Missile Regiment". 27 Nov 2012.
- "Saab Receives Order for Carl-Gustaf M4". 19 Dec 2018.
- "Anti-Armour Change-Over". 12 Sep 2019.
- "Image: H14_00.jpg, (1024 × 672 px)". raba.hu. Retrieved 2015-09-05.
- "Equipments and Abilities of the Hungarian River Fleet Subdivision". 11 Jun 2013.
- "Reconstruction of 2 Explosive Ordnance Disposal Patrol Boats" (PDF). 18 Feb 2019.