||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the Hungarian Wikipedia. (August 2011)|
Type of site
|Internet encyclopedia project|
The Hungarian Wikipedia (Magyar Wikipédia) is the Hungarian/Magyar version of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Started on July 8, 2003, this version reached the 200,000 article milestone in September 2011.
The first Wikipedia related to the Hungarian language was created on September 5, 2001 by Larry Sanger, the English language Wikipedia coordinator at the time. He created the address at http://hu.wikipedia.com/. At that time Wikipedia was still running on UseModWiki. For many months there was little Hungarian content, and there were problems with vandalism.
The Hungarian Wikipedia as it is known today was launched by Péter Gervai on July 8, 2003. On this day, the opening page was made available with a Hungarian interface and in Hungarian, at its current address of http://hu.wikipedia.org/. Since its launch it has been growing steadily, moving up in the multilingual ranking from the 34th place in 2003 to 18th place in December 2005 and 17th in December 2009, and 19th in September 2011.
On October 31, 2010, the Hungarian Wikipedia contained 179,894 articles with 8,992,153 edits by 38 administrators, 153,779 registered users as well as many unregistered ones.
On 14 January 2013, the Hungarian Wikipedia became the first to enable the provision of interlanguage links via Wikidata.
The Hungarian Wikipedia reached the 50,000 article milestone on February 7, 2007, the 100,000th on July 17, 2008, and the 150,000th article on December 25, 2009, by which it matched the size of the first complete Hungarian encyclopedia, the Pallas's Great Lexicon. The 200,000 article milestone was reached in September 2011, and it was marked by a new version of the Wikipedia globe showing 200000 moving onward.
On June 17, 2010 the number of featured articles reached 500.
- A magyar Wikipédia a tizenkilencedik legnagyobb a vilagon in MTV Híradó, 13 September 2011 (Hungarian)
- Százezres a magyar Wikipédia, in Népszabadság, 17 July 2008 (Hungarian)
- Wikipedia:Multilingual ranking December 2005
- Wikipedia:Multilingual ranking December 2009
- List of Wikipedias, Meta-Wiki, October 31, 2010
- A Wikipédia szócikkek tekintetében behozta a Pallas lexikont in Mix Magazin, 26 December 2009 (Hungarian)
- IT café: Megszületett a Wikipédia 500. kiemelt szócikke June 21, 2010 (Hungarian)
- Gross, Doug. "Wiki wars: The 10 most controversial Wikipedia pages." (Archive) CNN. July 24, 2013. Retrieved on July 26, 2013.
|Hungarian edition of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia|
- (Hungarian) Hungarian Wikipedia
- (Hungarian) Hungarian Wikipedia mobile version
- (Hungarian) Archived pages from the arcane times of the Hungarian Wikipedia
- (Hungarian) Hungarian Wikipedia major events
- (Hungarian) Hungarian Wikipedia milestones
- (Hungarian) Press articles about the Hungarian Wikipedia