Hungarian minor scale
The Hungarian minor scale, double harmonic minor scale, or Gypsy minor scale is a type of combined musical scale. It is the fourth mode of the double harmonic scale. It is the same as the harmonic minor scale, except that it has a raised fourth scale degree to introduce an additional gap, or augmented second. It is a symmetrical scale with a slightly ambiguous tonal centre, due to the many half steps.
Its step pattern is W, H, +, H, H, +, H, where W indicates a whole step, H indicates a half step, and + indicates an augmented second (three half steps, enharmonically equivalent to a minor third but notionally distinct). The scale contains two augmented seconds, one in each tetrachord. It also contains an augmented fourth between the first and fourth degree. This scale (and its modes like the double harmonic scale) is the one perfectly balanced seven-note subset of the equally tempered chromatic scale: when its pitches are represented as points in a circle whose full circumference represents an octave, their average position (or "centre of mass") is the centre of the circle. Other examples include the Dorian mode of major and fifth mode of melodic minor. The axis of balance for the Hungarian minor passes through the fifth and the flat nine, which is not included in the pitch set.
The scale may be used with minor or m+7 chords. See: chord-scale system. Chords that may be derived from the B Hungarian minor scale are Bm(maj7), C#7♭5, Dmaj7#5, E#6sus2b5, F#maj7, Gmaj7, G7, A#m6 and more.
This scale is sometimes also referred to as "Gypsy Run", or alternatively "Egyptian Minor Scale", as mentioned by Miles Davis who describes it in his autobiography as "something that I'd learned at Juilliard".
An alternative (and less common) version is the asymmetric Aeolian ♯4 scale, the only difference with the Hungarian minor scale being that the 7th degree of the scale is not raised. This form of the scale can also be used in the fourth mode and would then be referred to as the Neapolitan scale.
- Hungarian major scale
- Ukrainian Dorian scale
- Phrygian dominant scale
- Double harmonic scale
- Gypsy scale
- Kahan, Sylvia (2009). In Search of New Scales, p.39. ISBN 978-1-58046-305-8. Cites Liszt. Des Bohémians, p.301.
- Christiansen, Mike (2000). Guitar Scale Dictionary, p.14. ISBN 978-0-7866-5222-8.
- Stetina, Troy (2007). Fretboard Mastery, p.126. ISBN 978-0-7935-9789-5.
- Kent Cleland, Mary Dobrea-Grindahl (2010). Developing Musicianship Through Aural Skills, p.495. ISBN 978-0-415-80244-4
- Carlos Agon, Emmanuel Amiot, Moreno Andreatta, Gérard Assayag, Jean Bresson, John Manderau; eds. (2011). Mathematics and Computation in Music, p.89. ISBN 978-3-642-21589-6. "'gypsy'[sic] (or 'Hungarian minor') scale."
- Christiansen, Mike (2003). Complete Guitar Scale Dictionary, p.16. ISBN 978-0-7866-6994-3.
- Podolsky, Joshua Craig (2010). Advanced Lead Guitar Concepts, p.111. ISBN 978-0-7866-8236-2. Also "Gypsy scale".
- Hanson, Paul and Stang, Aaron (1996). Shred Guitar, p.114. ISBN 978-1-57623-604-8.
- Milne, A.J., Bulger, D., Herff, S.A. Sethares, W.A. "Perfect balance: A novel principle for the construction of musical scales and meters", Mathematics and Computation in Music (Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 9110, pp. 97–108) Heidelberg: Springer. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-20603-5 ISBN 978-3-319-20602-8
- Davis, Miles; Troupe, Quincy (1990). Miles, the Autobiography. Simon & Schuster. pp. 64. ISBN 0-671-72582-3.
- Kadmon, Adam. (2002), The guitar grimoire., Carl Fischer, ISBN 0-8258-4907-1, OCLC 613326594
- Celentano, Dave. (1992). Monster scales and modes : a complete compilation of scales, modes, exotic scales, and theory. Centerstream. ISBN 0-931759-59-5. OCLC 28615218.
- Silverman, Carol (24 May 2012). Romani Routes: Cultural Politics and Balkan Music in Diaspora. Oxford University Press. p. 300. ISBN 978-0-19-530094-9.
- "Hungarian Minor Archived 2013-02-08 at archive.today", NextLevelGuitar.com.
- "Dissecting Oli Herbert's "Become The Catalyst" - Guitar Lesson", RockHouseMethod.BlogSpot.com.
- "Cannibal Corpse "Torture" Studio Video: Guitar and Bass Tracking", Metal Blade Records - YouTube
- The Hungarian Minor Scale mapped out for guitar
- Hungarian minor scale theme
- Hungarian Minor Scale - Analysis
- http://jguitar.com/scale/C%23/Hungarian%20Gypsy - Illustration of the scale on a guitar of Double Harmonic variety.
- http://www.power-chord.com/gaff/mapper/ - Illustration of the scale on a guitar of Aeolian #4 as Hungarian Gypsy.
- http://dragonguitar.com/play/guitar/hungarian-minor-scales/a - Diagram of A Hungarian minor.