Hungary national rugby union team
|Union||Hungarian Rugby Union|
| Hungary 3 – 7 East Germany |
| Hungary 56 – 8 Bosnia and Herzegovina |
(2005-09-24) Hungary 53 – 5 Estonia
|Hungary 23 – 64 Switzerland |
The Hungary national rugby union team is governed by the Hungarian Rugby Union. They have yet to qualify for the Rugby World Cup, although they have entered qualifiers for all the tournaments from the 1995 edition onwards. They compete annually in the European Nations Cup, currently in Division 2C.
Hungary played their first official match against East Germany in Érd in 1990, losing 3–7, but they played a number of unofficial matches prior to this, mainly against a likewise unofficial Austrian team, including a match in Győr on 1 May 1983.
Hungary first entered the qualifiers for the 1995 World Cup in 1993, being at the wrong end of an 8–67 scoreline against Israel. Things went better in the 1999 qualifying rounds, where they beat Lithuania and Luxembourg, but lost to Andorra and Sweden.
In the 2003 qualifiers, they won against Andorra and Bulgaria, but lost to Bosnia, Yugoslavia (as Serbia was then still known), and Switzerland. The 2007 qualifying was their worst performance to date, losing all four matches played, including a 9–63 thumping by Spain.
Squad to 2014 European Nations Cup - Division 2D.
In the Austria match of 1983, they played in presumably white jerseys with either a black or dark green hoop, black shorts, and either black or dark green socks with white tops. After the MRgSz was established, the team reverted to the flag colors of red, white, and green, with the current strip consisting of red shirts and shorts and green socks.
Hungary plays at various football stadiums, since there are currently no rugby-specific venues in the country. Venues that have been used include the Széktói Stadion, Kecskemét and Dunaferr Arena, Dunaújváros.
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||4||3||1||0||75%|
- Fifty-seven nations on rise in rankings Archived 9 January 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- Team photo vs Austria in 1983 Included in the photo are current MRgSz Honorary President Lajos Vida-Szűcs and current national team manager and president of Esztergomi Vitézek András Neuzer.
- http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/matches/match=13794/index.html Archived 21 February 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- Magyar Rögbi Szövetség
- Hungary at RugbyData.com – Statistics and results
- Hungary's rugbyhistory in photos and scanned documents from the beginnings in 1968. A continuously expanding archive in chronological order. It is mostly in Hungarian, still easy to follow the relevant events – including the national side games.