Main street in Hungenroth
|• Mayor||Volker Gregorius|
|• Total||6.00 km2 (2.32 sq mi)|
|Elevation||450 m (1,480 ft)|
|• Density||41/km2 (110/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Hungenroth belonged until the latter half of the 15th century to the Lordship of Schöneck and thereafter, as an unredeemed pledge to the Vogtei of Pfalzfeld in the Lower County of Katzenelnbogen or their rightful successors, the Landgraves of Hesse and the Lords of Hesse-Rheinfels. Beginning in 1794, Hungenroth lay under French rule. In 1815 it was assigned to the Kingdom of Prussia at the Congress of Vienna. Since 1946, it has been part of the then newly founded state of Rhineland-Palatinate.
Hungenroth’s mayor is Volker Gregorius.
Coat of arms
The German blazon reads: Im geteilten Schild, oben in Rot ein silberner Pflug, unten in Gold ein blaugekrönter herschauender roter Löwe.
The municipality’s arms might in English heraldic language be described thus: Per fess gules a plough argent and Or a lion passant guardant, tail forked, of the first armed, langued and crowned azure.
The field tinctures gules and Or (red and gold) refer to the village’s former landholders. Until the latter half of the 15th century, Hungenroth belonged to the Lordship of Schöneck, passing next as an unredeemed pledge to the Counts of Katzenelnbogen. Both landholders’ coats of arms bore the same two tinctures. The silver plough symbolizes the woodland clearing, which surely took place under the Schönecks, and which is mentioned in the last syllable of the municipality’s name (the —roth ending stems from the same root as the German verb roden, meaning “clear”, with reference to woods). The charge in the lower half of the escutcheon refers to the village’s later status as part of the Vogtei of Pfalzfeld in the Lower County of Katzenelnbogen and that body’s rightful successors.
Culture and sightseeing
- Gründelbachstraße 5: L-shaped estate; timber-frame house, partly slated, 19th century
- TTC Hungenroth 1965 e.V. (table tennis)
- Verein für Heimatpflege e.V. Hungenroth (heritage)
- "Gemeinden in Deutschland mit Bevölkerung am 31. Dezember 2015" (PDF). Statistisches Bundesamt (in German). 2016.
- Kommunalwahl Rheinland-Pfalz 2009, Gemeinderat
- Hungenroth’s mayor Archived July 19, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- Description and explanation of Hungenroth’s arms
- Directory of Cultural Monuments in Rhein-Hunsrück district
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hungenroth.|
- Municipality’s official webpage (German)