Hunts Pond State Park
|Hunts Pond State Park|
Location of Hunts Pond State Park within New York State
|Type||Former state park|
|Location||Town of New Berlin,
Chenango County, New York
|Nearest city||New Berlin|
|Area||235 acres (0.95 km2)|
|Visitors||4,757 (in 2009)|
|Camp sites||12 (primitive)|
|Other information||Managed since 2011 as part of Hunts Pond State Forest by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.|
Hunts Pond State Park is a former state park in Chenango County, New York, United States. The former park is located in the town of New Berlin, west of Route 8 and southwest of the village of New Berlin. It has been managed since 2011 as part of Hunts Pond State Forest.
The 235-acre (0.95 km2) park was managed by the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation prior to 2011, when ownership and management was transferred to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. The former park has since been managed as part of Hunts Pond State Forest, a 1,397-acre (5.65 km2) state-managed conservation area.
Facilities and recreation
The former park is dominated by 50-acre (20 ha) Hunts Pond in its center. The land remains accessible by the public, and offers space for hiking, fishing, seasonal deer hunting, cross-country skiing and snowmobiling. A boat launch is available; as a pollution control measure, only non-motorized watercraft are permitted in the lake.
Beginning in 2013, 12 primitive campsites along Hunts Pond's perimeter were once again made available for public use. The campsites are available between May 1 and September 30, and campers are required to obtain a free permit issued by the NYS-DEC's office in Sherburne. Outside of the former Hunts Pond State Park area, primitive camping is permitted throughout Hunts Pond State Forest, pursuant to general state forest regulations.
- "Section O: Environmental Conservation and Recreation, Table O-9". 2010 New York State Statistical Yearbook (PDF). The Nelson A. Rockefeller Institute of Government. 2010. p. 674. Retrieved February 21, 2016.
- "State Park Annual Attendance Figures by Facility: Beginning 2003". Data.ny.gov. Retrieved February 21, 2016.
- "DEC Takes Ownership Of Hunts Pond State Park". WBNG.com. May 6, 2011. Retrieved February 21, 2016.
- "Hunts Pond State Forest". NYS Department of Environmental Conservation. Retrieved February 21, 2016.
- "Camping Sites Available Again at Hunts Pond State Forest". NYS Department of Environmental Conservation. May 2, 2013. Retrieved February 21, 2016.