Hunter Killer (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Donovan Marsh|
by Don Keith & George Wallace
|Music by||Trevor Morris|
|Edited by||Michael J. Duthie|
|Distributed by||Summit Entertainment|
Hunter Killer is a 2018 American action thriller film directed by Donovan Marsh and written by Arne Schmidt and Jamie Moss, based on the 2012 novel Firing Point by Don Keith and George Wallace. The film stars Gerard Butler, Gary Oldman, Michael Nyqvist (in one of his final film roles), Common and Toby Stephens, and follows a group of Navy SEALs who must ride in a submarine to rescue the captured Russian President from a coup.
The Russian President is captured by his own Defence Minister at a visit on a Northern Marine base. A U.S Submarine under the command of Commander Joe Glass (Gerard Butler) is sent into Russian territorial waters to save the Russian President and avoid sparking World War III.
- Gerard Butler as Commander Joe Glass, commanding officer of USS Omaha
- Gary Oldman as Admiral Charles Donnegan
- Common as Rear Admiral John Fisk
- Zane Holtz as Martinelli, U.S. Navy SEAL
- Caroline Goodall as United States President Ilene Dover
- Alexander Diachenko as Russian President Zakarin
- Michael Nyqvist as Captain Sergei Andropov, Commander of a Russian submarine
- Ilia Volok as Captain Vladimir Sutrev
- Mikhail Gorevoy as Defence Minister Dmitri Durov
- Igor Jijikine as Lt. Tretiak
- Yuri Kolokolnikov as Oleg
- Toby Stephens as U.S. Navy SEAL Lieutenant Bill Beaman
- Linda Cardellini as Jayne Norquist, National Security Agency senior analyst
- David Gyasi as the Chief of the Boat of USS Omaha
- Gabriel Chavarria as U.S. Navy SEAL
- Taylor John Smith as Sonar Operator on USS Omaha
- Michael Trucco as Devin Hall, TAO on USS Omaha
- Ryan McPartlin as Matt Johnstone, ex-SEAL and CIA medic
- Richard Hills Jr. as Medic Jones
- Carter MacIntyre as Executive Officer Brian Edwards
On November 12, 2015, it was announced that a deal between producers of the film had been made, that Relativity, Neal H. Moritz, and Toby Jaffe's Original Film would now produce the film along with Millennium Films, which would also co-finance and distribute. On March 3, 2016, it was announced that Donovan Marsh would direct the film and Gerard Butler and Gary Oldman would star, with Original Film's Neal H. Moritz and Toby Jaffe producing the film along with Butler, Tooley Productions' Tucker Tooley, Alan Siegel, and Mark Gill. On June 23, 2016, Taylor John Smith was cast in the film to play a sonar man on the sub. On July 6, 2016, Gabriel Chavarria joined the film to play a Navy SEAL aboard the U.S. submarine, next day, Zane Holtz also joined the film to play "Martinelli," a brave and skilled member of the elite unit. On July 13, 2016, Michael Trucco and Ryan McPartlin also came aboard to play a weapons specialist Devin Hall, and an ex-SEAL and CIA medic Matt Johnstone, respectively. On July 19, 2016, Michael Nyqvist was added to the cast to play Captain Sergi Andropoyov. On July 21, 2016, David Gyasi joined the film to play the Chief of the Boat of the submarine USS Omaha, with Toby Stephens cast to play Lt. Beaman, head of the black ops squad. On August 4, 2016, Linda Cardellini joined the cast.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 38% based on 16 reviews, with an average rating of 4.2/10. On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 42 out of 100, based on 4 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- "Hunter Killer (2018) - Financial Information". The Numbers. Retrieved September 18, 2018.
- Patten, Dominic (November 12, 2015). "Relativity & Neal Moritz Strike 'Hunter Killer' Deal; Millennium Films On Board". deadline.com. Retrieved November 15, 2015.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (March 3, 2016). "'Hunter Killer' Moving Ahead; Donovan Marsh Helms Gerard Butler/Gary Oldman Thriller In London July 25th". Deadline. Retrieved March 7, 2016.
- Pedersen, Erik (June 23, 2016). "Taylor John Smith Dives Into 'Hunter Killer'; Hiroyuki Sanada Gets 'Life'". Retrieved June 25, 2016.
- Lincoln, Ross A. (July 6, 2016). "Gabriel Chavarria Enlists In Action Thriller 'Hunter Killer'". Deadline. Retrieved July 22, 2016.
- Lincoln, Ross A. (July 7, 2016). "Zane Holtz Comes Aboard 'Hunter Killer'; Marcus Vanco Joins 'Day Of The Dead' Remake". Deadline. Retrieved July 22, 2016.
- Pedersen, Erik (July 13, 2016). "Michael Trucco & Ryan McPartlin Sail With 'Hunter Killer'; Wendy Braun Joins 'The Clapper'". Retrieved July 22, 2016.
- Galuppo, Mia; Ford, Rebecca (July 19, 2016). "'John Wick' Actor Michael Nyqvist Joins Gerard Butler in 'Hunter Killer' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 22, 2016.
- Lee, Ashley; Ford, Rebecca (July 21, 2016). "'Containment' Actor David Gyasi Joins Gerard Butler in 'Hunter Killer' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 22, 2016.
- Busch, Anita (July 21, 2016). "Toby Stephens Takes Co-Star Lead Opposite Gerard Butler In 'Hunter Killer'". Retrieved July 22, 2016.
- Hipes, Patrick (August 4, 2016). "Linda Cardellini Joins 'Hunter Killer' Cast". Deadline. Retrieved September 8, 2016.
- Goundry, Nick (July 20, 2016). "Hunter Killer to start filming in London". Retrieved July 25, 2016.
- Busch, Anita (March 23, 2018). "Hunter Killer,' Starring Gerard Butler & Gary Oldman, Pegged For October Release". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 23, 2018.
- "Hunter Killer (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved October 22, 2018.
- "Hunter Killer (2018) Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved October 22, 2018.