Schafer in July 2019
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
In an interview, she said that the Internet helped her cope with her gender identity, turning to YouTube and social media to learn about people's transition timelines. She graduated from the High School Visual Arts program at the North Carolina School of the Arts in 2017, having transferred there from Needham B. Broughton High School.
Schafer is a trans woman, stating, "I do like people to know that I'm not a cis girl because that's not something that I am or feel like I am. I'm proud to be a trans person." In regards to her sexuality, Schafer has said that she is closer to what people might call a lesbian.
Schafer has modeled for Dior, Miu Miu, Calvin Klein, Rick Owens, Helmut Lang, Tommy Hilfiger, Coach, Maison Margiela, Vera Wang, Marc Jacobs, Versus Versace, Emilio Pucci, Ann Demeulemeester, and Erdem, among other fashion houses.
In 2019, Schafer was cast in the HBO series Euphoria, marking her acting debut. She received praise for her performance in the series. Aside from her leading role in the series, she has also collaborated with the show's creator Sam Levinson so that her character and the show's story also reflected her experience.
In June 2020, in honor of the 50th anniversary of the first LGBTQ Pride parade, Queerty named her among the fifty heroes "leading the nation toward equality, acceptance, and dignity for all people".
- "Hunter Schafer". Premier Model Management.
- "Hunter Schafer – Model". Models.com.
- "Rising Model Hunter Schafer is Fighting for the Future of Trans Individuals on and off the Runway".
- Blyth, Ann (November 30, 2017). "This transgender teen sued NC over HB2. Now she's in Teen Vogue with Hillary Clinton". News & Observer.
- Schafer, Hunter (March 31, 2017). "Trans activist hunter schafer on why she's fighting for much more than bathrooms". Vice.
- D'Addario, Daniel (June 21, 2019). "Trans Superstar Hunter Schafer on Her Moment of 'Euphoria'". Variety. Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- Clark, Jess (March 29, 2017). "HB2's education impact: Life more complicated for students in transition". WRAL.com.
- "Is Hunter Schafer trans?".
- Meet the stars of our spring 2019 Infinite Identities issue, retrieved September 7, 2019
- "Meet Versus Versace's new gang of multi-talented muses". September 2017.
- Silver, Dena (February 7, 2018). "46 New Models to Look Out for at New York Fashion Week". The Observer.
- Tai, Cordelia (October 11, 2018). "Report: The Spring 2019 Runways Were the Most Racially Diverse Ever, but Europe Still Has a Major Age and Body Diversity Problem". The Fashion Spot.
- Tietjen, Alexa (June 21, 2018). "Marc Jacobs celebrates Pride with #GratefulNotHateful campaign". Los Angeles Times.
- "Hillary Clinton Talks Equality, Feminism, and Changing the World with Our 21 Under 21 Nominees". Teen Vogue. November 28, 2017.
- "Zendaya Set for Lead Role in HBO Pilot 'Euphoria,' 11 Others Cast". June 5, 2018.
- Sharma, Jeena (June 13, 2019). "Hunter Schafer: Leading the Charge for Femme Representation". Paper. Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- "Queerty Pride50 2020 Honorees". Queerty. Retrieved June 30, 2020.
- Reddish, David (June 1, 2020). "Meet the world-class performers who are diversifying LGBTQ representation". Queerty. Retrieved July 28, 2020.